News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:46:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about Sig Koverall  (Read 638 times)

Offline Jerry Rauch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Question about Sig Koverall
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:00:08 PM »
Has anyone used Sig Koverall on a large plane? I'm almost ready to start a Sig Ryan R/C, 72" wingspan. Wanted to use  their heavy duty silk, but Sig has been on backorder for 4 months now..... I see where they sell Koverall, an iron on, sounds good and all, it's cheap,usually in my experience, if it's cheap, it don't work but wanted to know the pro's and con's and if it really is as good as they make it out to be..What i don't like about iron on's is how they seem to loosen up when the plane is in the sun. Down here in Lousyana, the summers are pretty hot.
Has anyone used Koverall on C/L, 36 to 56" spans?

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Question about Sig Koverall
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »
Haven't used Koverall since the late '60s. It's strong, but way too heavy. It isn't "type-approved", but you could probably use it to cover a real Taylorcraft with no fear. Sucks up dope like a sponge, too.

I'd recommend you get real silk from Thai Silks or Dharma Trading Co. Less expensive than Koverall, and more what you're after, I think.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Jerry Rauch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
I see where they both sell different weights, I guess, 5 mm, 8mm, 10mm. What would be the one we use for airplanes? They really have good prices!!! Seems like this is the way to go.Thank you for the info!

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 05:13:22 AM »
Right you are, Jerry. "MM" stands for "momme", the weight or thickness of silks. The 8mm is probably what you want. The 5mm is lighter, but also requires more dope to fill.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here