News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:04:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about clear dope.  (Read 658 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Question about clear dope.
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »
I have a gallon can of Randolph that I have kept out in the garage, got it last fall or late summer.  I had used about 1/3 or so of the gallon.  Today I went to mix up some to start building up the coats on a wing and the clear is very thick (imagine syrup).  Now it's not mixing with the clear.  I stored it with a rubber lid on the container (the type you buy at Home Depot or Lowe's with the pour top).  Has it gone bad?

Thanks,

James

Thanks, I did get the clear to mix.  Took some shaking and stirring and a little more thinner.

James
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:09:13 PM by James Mills »
AMA 491167

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
Re: Question about clear dope.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »
The thinner has started to evaporate out.Just mix in some more thinner until it's where you need it. Noel.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »
Yep. that's the answer. As it sits in the can, the thinner in it evaporates and will even move through the metal can. It can get pretty thick after awhile. Adding thinner will bring it back.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »
I worked for a FBO at Toledo airport a very long time ago and we discovered a 55 gallon drum of butyrate that was over ten years old, had never been opened!  They couldn't find the paperwork on it and their records went back those ten years.  We opened it and it was like the syrup you mentioned!  Since we were recovering several Piper Colts we decided to try it, and it worked fine.  Took a LOT of thinner, but Randy's right, the stuff will pass thro8gh metal over a period of time.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »
I have a gallon can of Randolph that I have kept out in the garage, got it last fall or late summer.  I had used about 1/3 or so of the gallon.  Today I went to mix up some to start building up the coats on a wing and the clear is very thick (imagine syrup).  Now it's not mixing with the clear.  I stored it with a rubber lid on the container (the type you buy at Home Depot or Lowe's with the pour top).  Has it gone bad?

Thanks,

James

Thanks, I did get the clear to mix.  Took some shaking and stirring and a little more thinner.

James

Hi James,

As Randy & Will said some of the thinner in the clear has evaporated, and adding thinner will bring it back to original consistency.  Do not store dope with anything but the original metal lid for the gallon or quart can, pounded on tight with a rubber mallet.  The dope thinner cannot migrate through the metal can itself, but it will evaporate through the gap in the rubber lid you mentioned and through the gap in a loosely applied metal lid.  Also, be sure to clean any dope that gets into the circumferential channel on the top of the can and on the lid itself before closing the lid for storage.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here