News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:16:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Procedures to camo a model.  (Read 626 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Procedures to camo a model.
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:00:24 PM »
In all the years that I have covered models I have never done a camoflouge paint scheme so I wanted to ask some questions so I dont make a mistake. 

It is a profile and I was wondering if you could cover the whole plane in say a flat tan plastic film and then cut out camoflouge patterns of say olive drab and iron them over the tan covering.  Or if I wanted to paint, once you have the plane in the base color, do you cut masks and apply them and spray a different color inside the mask cutouts?  I do not own an airbrush and will have to use spray can paint.. This is an electric powered model so I do not have to worry about fuelproofing...

I did a search on here for a tutorial or 'how to" article on doing Camo paint schemes but could not find one.  Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Procedures to camo a model.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »
You might try a search on Stuka Stunt or even the archives of Stunt News.   I know Matt Newman does one in Stunt News.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »
Mike,

An easy procedure is to use foam tape (the kind you use to seal around door and window joints) and lay out the pattern.  The foam stands about 1/4 inch above the surface and acts like a fence.  Mask off the base color sections.  Then just spray over the foam fence with the spray angled from outside the painted area (about 45 degrees).  This will create a soft edge and look much better than a clean edge.  Changing the angle of the spray will determine the edge texture.  Easy and fast.  You can do the entire plane in one paint session.

Paul

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »
Mike, I think you answered your own question. There is no "one" way to do it. But with paint of course, one starts with the lighter colors first. I also know you are not using paint. H^^

"Not using paint?" OK.

Yes, generally light colors are painted first, but much of that can depend on the type of paint and it's covering abilities.

This camo job I'll do on the Mig-3 will be done a tad differently.

Obviously, I'll apply a thin light base coat of white, just enough to cover. I will then "hard" mask the soft lines you see in the graphic separating the main colors. Most likely, 3/16" or 1/4"?

I can then mask on each side of this tape to paint the required colors. There aren't many.

When done, you pull all the masking. What's left is the desired colors with a hard edge of white between the colors.

Fine sandpaper to knock down the edge, then a quick air brush with white paint, at the right distance, will soften the edge and should give the desired results.

I can't think of an easier way.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here