News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem with Brodak gold  (Read 866 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Problem with Brodak gold
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »
Anyone ever have this happen?: Opened up a new 4 oz jar of Brodak gold. Looked OK, stirred it up, stir stick came out clear - no gold sticking to it. Stirred it again, shook it, poured some out, thinned it, warmed it, still same result. The metalic is not combining with the clear medium resulting in a product that looks gold but paints clear. The previous jar I had just emptied was fine. For the record, I'm very experienced at dope finishes but this one has me stumped. Have E-mailed John, curious if this has been reported before. My guess is a bad batch or?  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Problem with Brodak gold
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »
I can't recall ever using gold dope of any brand...but it seems to me that maybe the binder (i.e., clear dope) was left out. I'd try adding some clear, anyway. Good luck with it.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »
Good point Steve, that's a good description - it acts as if there is nothing binding the metalic flakes to the dope itself. What looks like clear may be just oil. I'll give it a try. 8)

Update: Darn, no luck. Mixed it with clear, metalic still does not combine with the carrier. Looks gold, paints clear. Verrry strange. Would order some Sig but they no longer list gold as a color on their web site.  :-\)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:31:20 PM »
The good part about being retired is that you have all the time in the world. Order a fresh jar from Brodak. That one is old. I had the same problem with an old jar of silver.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »
Thanks for that Clint, that is probably what I will have to do. What irks me about it is that it is probably the newest jar of dope I have in the closet. I ordered it less than 6 months ago from and on-line internet supplier who had to special order it from Brodak so if it was old, it got old at the source, not at my shop. Oh, and yup, you are right, retirement is pretty cool, just wish I had retired someplace closer to a C/L flying field, Oh well, you can't have everything.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »
Then I would call Brodak again and ask for a replacement jar and also that they open and check it BEFORE sending it out. They might just have a ton of the stuff that isn't any good.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:46:40 AM »
Maybe the gold is like all the other colors.  If not shook enough, not stirred, the pigment is still at the bottom of the bottle.  Every time I open a bottle of Brodak color dope I have to shake it real good until it is an even color.  If it is in a can it is hard to tell.  That is why I move the color from the quart can to a canning jar.  Use aluminum foil to seal the lid from the dope.  Took several tries to get the color pigment completely out of the can.  Gold, like silver being heavy settles out faster. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »
Thanks for that Doc and Clint. Unfortunately this jar (now in two jars) has been stirred, shaken decanted, left right side up, upside down, sidewise, warmed, brushed, sprayed, thinned, and thickened to death. All with the same result - looks gold, paints clear.  HB~>  The metallic color is just not bonding with the carrier medium. I think it is just a bad batch and there is no doubt in my military mind that John will make it right. I just advise others to check their jars of gold dope before commiting them to a project - I might not be the only one with this issue.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 03:15:19 PM »
An update for those who have been following this thread: I just received an E-mail from John Brodak. A replacement jar will be sent out Monday (today is Sunday). Great support as expected. Thanks to all for the suggestions.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »
Let me know how the new jar turns out. I have some gold left from the Playboy paintjob I could send if needed.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »
yea, be sure to let us know.  Gold is one of my planned colors for next year's ship...
Matt Colan

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
Final word on this issue: I notified Brodak of the problem on Saturday, received an E-mail reply from John on Sunday, new container went in the mail Monday, received on Wednesday, can't say enough about the great service and support. Now for the rest of the story: Apparently there have been isolated instances of this happening with the gold dope in JARS. For whatever reason, the gold dope in cans has not been affected. Brodak sent me a pint can even though I had originally only purchased a 4 ounce jar. New can A-OK and since I only use gold for trim, it's going to last a looooooooong time.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 05:22:57 AM »
I used a small jar of Brodak gold and it worked fine. No problem.

My theory is that a worker at Brodak or his supplier who was making big ones into little ones failed to stir the gold enough and got some "pigment free" bottles into the system. Maybe the customer who got more than his share of gold will be honest enough to send you some.  

Just like offshore oil drilling, sometimes a little bit falls down the crack.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:34:09 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags: brodak gold 

Advertise Here