News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PRIMING FIBERGLASS  (Read 1210 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
PRIMING FIBERGLASS
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »
I've never used fiberglass parts (or maybe I don't remember).  Now I have some commercial fiberglass wheel pants.  My final paint will be Brodak dopes, and I don't know how to prime the fiberglass parts so that butyrate will stick.

Any primer that is readily available?

Floyd in OR
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: PRIMING FIBERGLASS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
Floyd,
you will want to make sure that whatever primer you use is NOT an enamel based. some of the spray can primers are enamel based and using that under laquer is not a happy thing.
Make sure you wash the parts with good soapy water and wax and grease remover too, the mold release can create adhesion problems. I think the Autocolor spray can system has a laquer based primer that should ( I say should, , I havent used it personaly) work.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
I've sanded the fiberglass parts with 220 paper.  Unless something exotic comes up, I'll try a rattle can of grey auto primer.  It's lacquer-based, and I've used it as a primer over aluminum, and then Brodak as a paint coat.

BTW, I'm going to McMinnville this Sunday, if it doesn't rain.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »
OK, I'm going to have to admit some ignorance here, but this topic is very germain to an iminent step in my present project. I have just applied some CF veil to stiffen my elevator and sanded it mostly smooth (losing some CF in doing so). I was just going to apply clear butyrate over this, but now it seems that I ought to prime it.

The reason I was not intending to spray a primer coat was that I have made fillets from 3-minute epoxy  and microballoons for my last three planes, and contrary to the problems reported by so many, I have had no problem applying butyrate directly over the sanded fillets. They are 1/4" in radius, concave, and smooth. So far, I have never had one lift - through setting or crashing (a specialty). I also use epoxy to attach precovered (silkspannned and doped) wings, and these have never given problems, even in the too frequent earthly encounters.

SO...I thought butyrate would just stick compatably. Have I overlooked something? If I really need to prime, I'll be out there tomorrow buying that rattle can of auto primer. I'm ready to be set straight on this. Thanks.

SK

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »
Serge,

No need to prime. Use dope just like over silkspan.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
You do know that Brodak offers a butyrate primer, right?

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »
Thanks, Pat!

Ralph-

Yeah, I think I still have some in a box close by - will check. Thickish white stuff? That might be a good start to fill some irregularities.

SK

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:01:10 AM »
Hey , I cant help it, I paint stuff for like you know a profesional,, so I have bad habits! I do it by the book,,,
anyway, cant speak for Butyrate over resin, just have not done it. I find personally that primer tends to have better adhesion, just my experience,,
sounds like you got some different opinions there Floyd,, guess your gonna pays your money and takes your chances,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »
The biggest trick is to clean the mold release off of any molded parts with acetone or thinner followed by hot soap and water.
After a cleaning sand with 320 then prime with a compatible primer. the dope should stick then.
Charley Pate had a heck off a time getting dope to stick to some of my Carbon Fiber wheel pants  the above was what it took to get it to adhere properly.
Busby
Marshall Busby

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:41:27 PM »
Hey , I cant help it, I paint stuff for like you know a profesional,, so I have bad habits! I do it by the book,,,
anyway, cant speak for Butyrate over resin, just have not done it. I find personally that primer tends to have better adhesion, just my experience,,
sounds like you got some different opinions there Floyd,, guess your gonna pays your money and takes your chances,,

The primer will also fill faster and lighter.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here