News:

• May 08, 2024, 10:22:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Primer weight?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Primer weight?
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »
My first real stunt ship so I've really tried hard to keep the weight down with this model. 500 sq's. OS LA 46.

I used all weapons grade balsa from Tim Morris, which BTW Tom sellected, I just gave him the sizes.

Tom had the weight of each sheet written on the end in grams. So, depending on the use, I had a choice. Not much, but a gram or two. It all adds up.

I just primed the model and then sanded a bit off with 600. I weighed the model before the primer and after I sanded it.

Looks like I added 1.8 oz. I have absolutely no idea if this weight is average for this size model? 55" in span. But, it is what it is.

I do believe I may dust on a tad more, but most of that second coat will get sanded with 600 also.

For those that keep track of their weight from coat to coat, how much weight are you adding with primer?

Thanks in advance.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Primer weight?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 03:20:22 PM »
Well,

AS crazy at it may be, I did another 600 sanding on the model. Lightly this time, but I did hit all areas, including the open rib areas.

I removed only .1 oz.

I'll know more about my particular primer weight after the second coat is applied and more 600 sanding is done
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »
Charles,

In general, you want to sand off all primer except what it filling grain and low spots. If you go a good job in initial sanding and prep, there shouldn't be much in the way of low spots, but sometimes, it is what it is. Primer is heavy. No question. Not sure on per coat weight as it depends on a lot of factors including areas covered and open bay, covered areas (that soak up more primer).

The best (weight wise) finish I ever did was on a 620 square inch plane in which the entire finish, from bare wood to let's go flying was 7.2oz. And it was an 18 point finish. I didn't use primer on that plane but just built up with high solid clear dope and a lot of sanding.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
Charles, i try not to use primer much, but removing .1 oz is a light amount of weight removed with 600. After the first coat was sanded, it should look really really spotty, like you basically removed all the primer. I know That's what Randy was talking about, but just solidifying his statement. In my opinion, 600 is too fine to remove a first coat of primer. I would use 220 and then 400, and then possibly 600. 600 should be the color sand, like right before the first color coat. I think i'd only use one coat of primer, maybe... I guess it depends on what you're shooting for. I'm usually happy with the sanding sealer.
 I guess I'm saying, I'm curious, if you sanded enough primer off? I hope that's not rude sounding... Just trying to be helpful

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:57:18 PM »
1.8 oz. sounds about right for a solid coat of primer.  Block sand it all off and you'll be left with a mottled grey blotch finish that weighs less than an ounce.  Proceed from there.

Primer is heavier because of the fillers in it.  Clear dope will be lighter, but a lot harder to sand away.  I'm cheap and lazy, so I use Rustoleum gloss enamels.  A 6-8oz finish is quite possible on a 550-700 sq.in plane-

A model painter I trust says he has been getting that down to 4.5 oz. using automotive primer, well-sanded, followed by auto color and then one coat of well-thinned auto clear coat.  That has to be about the minimum possible for a paint finish.  It's only 10-15% of what goes on cars.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »
1.8 oz. sounds about right for a solid coat of primer.  Block sand it all off and you'll be left with a mottled grey blotch finish that weighs less than an ounce.  Proceed from there.

Primer is heavier because of the fillers in it.  Clear dope will be lighter, but a lot harder to sand away.  I'm cheap and lazy, so I use Rustoleum gloss enamels.  A 6-8oz finish is quite possible on a 550-700 sq.in plane-

A model painter I trust says he has been getting that down to 4.5 oz. using automotive primer, well-sanded, followed by auto color and then one coat of well-thinned auto clear coat.  That has to be about the minimum possible for a paint finish.  It's only 10-15% of what goes on cars.

Phil C

Phil,

Just getting around to replying to your Post.

I've painted plenty of models using an Auto Paint System, but have never weighed the model before applying primer or paint.

I have removed a good percentage of this primer and I believe I'm ready for paint.

I'll use a water base artists acrylic, Liquitex, because I have plenty of it. I'm also experimenting with this water base paint.

Yes, auto clear as a top coat. In this case, the clear will be matt.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »
Use 400 and sand of much more of the primer. It is composed of talc and zinc stearate (assuming this is DC540?). Based on the info online for the stuff. Most JU 87's were olive drab, so primer should only be used to fill in small scratches, etc. That is a lot of scale detail for a stunter and that makes it heavy, especially with only 500 sq, but the LA .46 should help some.  D>K

Ty,

Thanks for the reply and interest.

The primer is white, I didn't use the DC540. I also applied a bit of paint before the primer. Some of that is visible, but sanded most of it away.

Thought I could get away with not using any primer. I should know better.

I will remove a bit more, but it's thin already.

I no longer use the Post Office scales, really not accurate.

What you see in that photo weighs in at 31.7 oz. on a Weight Watcher's scale. I have no way of telling if it's accurate.

I'm really excited about this Tank Buster. It'll be done in winter camo.

Thanks again for the reply.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here