News:

• May 03, 2024, 01:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Primer for plastic canopy?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Primer for plastic canopy?
« on: April 25, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »
What primer is appropriate for a plastic canopy that will be painted over entirely? The finish will be all butyrate dope, but I am not sure how to prime the plastic canopy to get the buty primer (Brodak white primer) to stick to it when applied over whatever goes on the plastic. I am assuming (maybe wrongly) that buty primer will not stick to plastic well, even if scuffed. I have Rustoleum grey primer, and Duplicolor grey primer, and I can buy a paint that is specially formulated for plastic. I really want to avoid problems as this is my Number One PA airplane and I want to have the best finish I can. I am worried the whole finish will lift with the tape when I paint canopy lines on the painted canopy.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this one.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Primer for plastic canopy?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »
I use the same technique but like a bit coarser prep, usually 800 grit wet/dry but have used as coarse as 600. The canopy of the Buccaneer that I posted elsewhere was aggressively scuffed with 800, yet after a few coats of clear you would never know. Caution: when buffing out, you can cut through the paint very easily and it is hard to repair (ask me how I know!). 

If it hasn't been mounted, it can be painted from the inside. If this is the case, let me know and I'll post further. 8)

Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
Thanks, guys! Are we talking about clear on the plastic before using primer on the entire plane (butyrate primer), or is this the clear coats over the finish color coats? Sounds like you are suggesting clear onto the scuffed plastic, then proceed with primer and rest of finish application to entire plane.

Canopy is already expoxied in place and has SuperFil blue fillet around edges. That's OK since I want to paint lines on it. And I already know that you can buff through the finish, probably for same reason Pete already knows. Did a bit of this on the Olympic I just completed, grrr. With a tailwheel strut by the way.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 03:03:33 PM »
Olympic finished? Pics please. I had to take a break from mine but it is back on the paintstand as I type. Lets see, Clear vs Primer...I've only done clear over the scuffed plastic. Last painted canopy I did was painted from the inside w/R/C car plastic body paints. The one before that was carved out of balsa. Going out on a limb here but I'd say that putting clear on first like Ty suggested is a good idea. In my experience, clear has better adhrerance than primer. After that, I would think that finishing up in primer, paint, clear again etc. would work fine. Personally, I would stay away from the non-dope type fillers/primers. I know many use them but they take a relatively long time to set-up and I have found that they often soften when used as a base for butyrate dope. 8) 
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »
Thanks Pete. I can take some pix of the Olympic and email them to you. I will try to post them here but I have a deuce of a time shrinking the file enough to work as an attachment to a SH (or SSW) post. I am hoping for stable weather to start trim flights shortly. The overall appearance is okay, but no 20 pointer by any means. Of course that was never my goal in the first place; just wanted a decent flying replica of the model I drooled over in the Mags almost 50 years ago. (OMG!!)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here