News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:56:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pouring tips/tricks...  (Read 1177 times)

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Pouring tips/tricks...
« on: December 16, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
 To "The Pros" this might seem like a stupid question, but what is a nifty way to pour dope from a pint or quart can into a paint jar without making a mess and wasting a bunch of the spendy stuff? I've seen those plastic jobbies that snap onto the edge of a can to make a pour spout, but they just don't stay on a quart or pint can. Now I don't consider myself a "Messy Marvin" by any means, but no matter what I've tried I always seem to end up wasting more dope than I'd like just having to wipe off what fills up around the lip and/or runs down the outside of the can. It's especially frustrating when all you want to do is fill up an airbrush jar, but by the time you're done you've wasted half that amount.

Any tips, tricks or photos will be appreciated... y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Pouring tips/tricks...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »
I take a scriber and punch a hole in the bottom of the channel that runs around the top of the can. This allows any paint to run back into the can as well as allowing pouring out of small quantities. Actually, I punch about three holes to speed up the draining back into the can if I pour over the big opening. Once the top is put back on, you are sealed up.
Don

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »
What Don says is a pretty clean solution, I do it myself
I also tend to make a funnel on the edge of the can with masking tape because I detest the dribble that invariably finds its way on the part of the label with the color name.
Just a few pieces of tape covering the channel, then form the overhang into a trough. I typically trim the tape off the inside of the can so it pours better.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:08:45 AM »
 The hole in the rim trick sounds like a good idea, I'll have to give that one a try next time around. The eye dropper for the little stuff sounds good too. Thanks guys!  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
Being a real miser when it comes to dope, I use a set of aluminum measuring spoons to dip the dope out of the can and put it into the mixing jar. I then add thinner to the dope and stir it in with the mixing spoon, which pretty much cleans off the spoon. Then finish by wiping of the spoon with a paper towel with just a bit of thinner on it. When the can of dope gets down to about half empty, I start pouring it from the can, and use my brush to clean the dope out of the groove in the top of the can, wiping the dope off of the brush back into the can. This kind of evolved from my old R/C days of mixing K&B Superpoxy and measuring the paint and catalyst.
Jim Kraft

Offline Russ Danneman

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »
excellent question been wondering this myself. thanks for ideas
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »
 Russ,

Just noticed your tag line below, Risky Business, as in the old Reno Mustang?

Wayne Willey

Offline Russ Danneman

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »
yes, never was the fastest at reno but her name says it all!!! i wish risky was still racing. russ
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
 Ahh yes, I'm finally painting on my Shark 402 and I've now discovered that the 'ol "Hole In The Rim" trick works pretty swell.  y1 Glad I asked, I would have never thought of it.

Thanks!!!

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »
I use Mark's trick. Take masking tape. Put it over the edge of the can and cut out the part that is covering the edge you pour through. Take that semi-circle and put it out for a pour spout. But I sort of solved the problem another way. When I get a new can of paint, I make my masking tape pour spout and pour all the paint into a mason jar. I found some very slick plastic tops for them and I keep my paint in jars. Easier to tell what I'm looking for and to match trim colors without opening the paint. And pouring out paint to mix is easy.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
Punching holes in the rim of the can works well.  But...make sure you've got a good grip on the can before you do it!  It will tip over and man, what a mess.  I now have my wife hold the can and I do the punching.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »
I punch the rim, but with an awl, not one of my nice scribers.  ;D

Doesn't anyone else have a workbench in their shop? Sit the dope can on it when you whack your punching tool. Care to set the awl vertical, and to hit it straight vertical prevents the dope from slipping and the can from sloshing. The solid workbench base also allows pretty good control of the hole size...

\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here