News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:37:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polyurethane question.  (Read 859 times)

Online Lauri Malila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Polyurethane question.
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »

Hello.

How long it is good to wait before polyurethane paint can be sanded and polished? (it says polyuréthane acrylique / isocyanate aliphat in the can)
 I just sprayed my Shark with white and I should at least sand some spots with #2000 before spraying more colours.
 I use same paint but in silver to paint my Free flight wings before covering. The silver dries matt and it can be sprayed a lot thinner (apr. 1,6 grams per a pair of wings!). It feels absolutely dry after a few hours but I have noticed that it takes about a week in room temperature before it resists well the acetone that is used in covering process.
 So, how long should I wait? LM

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Polyurethane question.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »
Lauri,

Are you asking how long before you can sand and polish clearcoat? Or color? With catalyzed polyurethane clear coat (top coat), you can usually handle it after 24 hours (though it's usually still pretty soft). You can sand it after 48 hours or so and polish it, though you may want to sand it after 24 hours but wait a day or two more before polishing. The stuff is pretty stable after 48 hours, but takes up to a week to completely cure.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: Polyurethane question.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »

Randy,

I intend to sand and polish the colour, I will not use clear. Thanks. L

Advertise Here