News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:25:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polyspan question  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Polyspan question
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:49:52 AM »
Is it possible to use polyspan just over open bays and use silkspan or carbon veil everwhere else? Do the edges of the polyspan blend with other materials?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Polyspan question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »
Randy,
I was up at Varley's the other day when he covered his wing on the new E-Suntan.  He stopped the polyspan about 1/2" after the tip rib because he doesn't like to use the material on the tips.  He then just overlaps with silkspan on the tips and it looks fine.  I think I'd put the polyspan on first and then use silkspan of carbon veil.
Alan

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »
Is it possible to use polyspan just over open bays and use silkspan or carbon veil everwhere else? Do the edges of the polyspan blend with other materials?
Not sure what you mean by "blend with other materials", but the edge can be feathered if you put on enought coats of dope.  Like I have read several times relative to sanding Polyspan, dont sand untill you have
3-4 coats of dope or you will have the fuzzies.  I used Polyspan on the RMD, I ended it about 3/8" past the last bay to avoid the compound curve of the tip.  No covering on the tip, just dope.  
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »

Hi Randy.

Yes it is. I cover my free flight wings so, I put Polyspan only over open bays and lightweight Modelspan / Japanese tissue over the carbon D-box. I do it mainly because the Modelspan covering does not get fuzzy in use like polyester paper does. Covering that way also saves a couple of grams in weight.
 I put first the Polyspan and then overlap it with tissue about 2-3mm. When I'm finished with dope and sanding, I cannot feel the seam. Sometimes I cover the seam with a narrow stripe of Esaki Lite-flite tissue but that's for decoration only.
 Sanding the bare Polyspan/dope can be difficult, the surface gets fuzzy if you sand too deep. But I only use 5-6 coats of shrinking dope (Zapon type), in a stunt plane with good sanding sealer it's easier as you can see what's happening. L

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »
HI Randy,  I commented, but sumthin' went wrong! LOL!!  Just stay away from the fuzzies.  The planes we have used it on still are fine, really very puncture resistant and the overall weight is not a difference as far as I can tell.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 01:40:09 PM »
Thanks, guys.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »
 I have a hard time thinking I'll tell you anything you don't already know Randy, but here goes...

FWIW, I do all of my wings with Polyspan over the center section and open bay areas, and then trim it off flush at the end rib or capstrip. Then, I'll clearcoat and sand that end, repeating a few times just to blend in the edge some. It doesn't have to be blended perfectly though, just close. Then, I do my wingtips with medium silkspan overlapping that end rib and Polyspan by about an inch or so. The overlap amount can be your personal preference with practice. Then, with building up the clearcoats to fill your wing the rest of the way, and careful sanding of the seam area, you can get it to go away. Same process with using carbon veil. On the wing I only use veil over the center section, putting it over the Polyspan, just my preference.

Another thing that helps a lot with Polyspan is making sure that you have a nice clean edge after cutting it prior to applying it. I ALWAYS bust out a brand new #11 and a good straightedge for that job. y1

Hope this helps!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:15:35 AM »
Very nice woodwork on that plane Wayne!!!  Love those tight joints.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.

OK, what is the best source for Polyspan these days? CLC?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 11:20:39 PM »
 I get mine from Tom Morris.

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »
Randy,  I think Jim Snelson carries polyspan, and of course, Tom does.

At first, I didn't think I would really like it, but after using it several times, I do! ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »
 It definitely takes a little getting used to, but I won't use anything else now.

Here's a few tips that will help:

This ones a BIGGIE: Don't ever forget to keep the shiny(er) side out. Check, double-check, and then check again before applying. You will really regret it if you get the wrong side out.

I'll typically apply a section by tacking down only the outermost perimiter of each section and finish the whole wing that way, less the wingtips in my own case. Get the covering as nice, smooth, and wrinkle free as you can at this time. Then I stop and let the dope dry overnight before I go back to shrink it with the heat gun. Personally I feel the heating process goes a lot better with the dope fully cured. I've had the covering want to bubble up on the sheeted areas if the dope isn't fully cured. I use a cheapo Tower Hobbies heat gun on high for shrinking. Be real easy with the heat gun until you get a good feel for shrinking it. You can burn a hole over the open bays pretty easily if you're not careful, and since it's poly the hole gets big real fast. ;D
 I'll usually turn off one of the lights in my shop and situate myself so that I can watch the shadows to know when it's tight. Just like when (if) you use that technique while sanding certain things to see your high and low spots.

After it's all shrunk with the covering still only attached at the perimiter, then I'll go back with the dope and attach it to the ribs and everywhere else. After that you're ready to start with your favorite finishing process.

Wayne Willey

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »

Wayne,
Would you say that dope is the only way to go for the initial coating of the polyspan?

Thanks.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 11:18:16 PM »
 Kim,

Everyone has their favorite process it seems. I prefer keeping things simple whenever possible. I feel that way of thinking also lessens the chance of problems.

Here's what I do as far as the finishing work goes up until applying color on my own models:

I mix up 50:50 clear butyrate dope and thinner and use only it on the entire model from the very first coats on the bare wood, all the way through the wing covering process, and all silkspan work. With the model all finish sanded and ready to go, I put down two good coats on the bare wood and then lightly sand after each coat before putting on any covering. I use Polyspan on my wings and I cover all of the rest of the model with medium silkspan. Polyspan is much stronger and more durable than silkspan on the open bay areas. Once the entire model is covered, I continue to coat and build up with the 50:50 clear and sand in between until I'm satisfied that it's time for the color. I never use any sanding sealers or primers. Works perty good for me. :)

BTW guys, don't even think about sanding Polyspan until you have at least four coats of the 50:50 on it. Even then be real careful until you get used to the stuff and learn what you can, and can't, get away with. Once you get used to it though I think you'll really like it. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 11:22:13 PM »

Thanks Wayne!
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA