News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polyspan around curved wingtips demonstration.  (Read 418 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Polyspan around curved wingtips demonstration.
« on: March 07, 2024, 12:11:27 PM »
Have you ever wondered how to get polyspan to form around curved wingtips with no cuts? I filmed a demonstration given by Roger Kramar as he covered a wing panel with a curved wingtip using a single sheet of Polyspan with no cuts.  He shows the process of using a monokote iron to tack and shrink the Polyspan around complex curves.   He and Gordan Delaney have used this method for many years on their beautiful front row quality ships.

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Polyspan around curved wingtips demonstration.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 03:51:01 PM »
That was informative!  I have used a similar method to help seal the polyspan.  Don't shrink it on the open bays before you dope.  Then, with the dope wet use the iron or heat on low heat to shrink the polyspan.  It really seals it up and you don't get those awful holes.  I do monokote like Roger but I had never thought of using the same technique with polyspan - Thanks.  So does the next plane with polyspan comes with three people to hold it for me?  ???

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 06:15:18 PM »
A really useful show of how to do a wingtip ended panel. I learned a lot! Forms a perfect base for my following rant. R%%%%

Unless you are going for a Nationals 20 point finish, look into covering the polyspan with park flyer film.  Instant colored composite finish that has proven remarkably durable.

If you are going for the top quality finish, scuff the outer surface of SLC film, cover and you are ready for your top coats of paint. No primer and prep required. Lighter, tougher, cheaper, quicker, durable, less dope fumes, what is not to like?

See the SLC over Polyspan thread. Can 112,000 views be wrong? Try it and let us know. A lot of viewers are looking to see how it works. So far the reports have been positive.

I have used this scheme for years and would never switch back to tedious, multiple layers of dope to fill a porous covering material and then try to make it shine. Life is too short for that.

By the way, Hi Gordy! Haven’t seen you in a long time. 🤠

Best regards, Larry

🤠
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 07:49:33 PM »

Great video! I use Polyspan exclusively but have only ever used my heat gun with it. For some reason I've never even thought of using my iron, DUH, looks like a better way, a lot less chance of the dreaded burn through.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 08:30:35 PM »
One of the nice things about adhering Polyspan with ModPodge is the ability to shrink, stretch and stick the covering all in one step, like any other iron-on covering. Somehow, ironing wet dope "goes against the grain" for me, but I can't argue with results.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 07:33:12 AM »
Great video !!  I actually ended up using this technique on my last build when putting on heavy silkspan and I got the best wingtips I ever did.  Had to mist the silkspan a few times while doing it and it you certainly can't pull and stretch like the polyspan, but using the iron on the tip while applying did allow me to get it down nicely without any wrinkles.  The next one I build, I'm going to try some stuff from Joann's fabrics that is supposed (we'll see) to be similar to polyspan and I'll certainly try the iron and pull technique like this video.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 06:07:02 PM »
Thank you Brent for sharing this with us, great useful information.

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 09:29:03 PM »
Sparky has a video showing how he dose his wing tips .
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here