News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polyspan.  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Polyspan.
« on: December 21, 2023, 06:30:52 AM »
About 10 years ago I used polyspan on a few models. As I remember the stuff was weak in that it would tear if heated too much in the thin spots. After some paint pin holes would show up. That soured me on the stuff for a while.  A few months ago I found polyspan on the BMJR site and bought 2 rolls. I don't know where they got it but the quality has gone through the roof. Very even in thickness, nice and smooth, no rough stuff on the smooth side and it shrunk perfectly.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: Polyspan.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 01:14:07 PM »
I have also had some polyspan clones.  Uneven texture, thin spots.  No way to ever fill that weave.  The original Starline was the best but are they in business anymore?

A similar product is Thermalspan.  Apply and shrink like polyspan but Thermalspan does not have the "grain" like polyspan.  Thermalspan is as strong in the chord-wise direction as span-wise.  The weave looks tighter.  Like polyspan, it needs to be installed with the proper side up.  I doubt if the company that made this product is still around.  Since fewer are building these days, and the demand for such items has dropped, no reason to produce it.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
Re: Polyspan.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 09:33:13 PM »
FAI Model Supply has authentic Polyspan, at $25 for a 22" by 12' roll, about enough for one typical 650 inch stunter. Shipping is pricy, almost as much as the product. I have used this same product for more than 30 years and it has always seemed to be consistent in quality (good) and thickness. It was available as recently as 2 weeks ago. The company is in business and supplies the FF community with lots of items.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here