News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:54:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pearl White  (Read 707 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Pearl White
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
Pearl White seems to be one of the popular colors for high end luxury cars. 
My question is about the pearl, is it in the base color or the clear coat or both ? 
Or is it a 3 layer application like candy colors ?
How might you do a pearl white finish with dope ? 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Pearl White
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
Pearl White seems to be one of the popular colors for high end luxury cars. 
My question is about the pearl, is it in the base color or the clear coat or both ? 
Or is it a 3 layer application like candy colors ?
How might you do a pearl white finish with dope ? 

For our models we can use pearl in the base color or in the clear coat.  You can get pearl powders to use in the dope from PPG and House of Kolors, plus others I am sure.  That is probably the easiest way to do it.  At least for me and Randy P., Mark S., etc.. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Pearl White
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »
Yea, you can get dry pearls from House of Kolor. They come in many, many types from just straight pearls to Ice Pearls, Chameleon Pearls and various and other and sundry types. I use dry perals. They come in many, many colors and it sort of depends on the effect you're looking for one what you use in what and where.

For instances, I built a Cobra a couple of years ago and it was painted pearl white with red, blue and yellow trim. I put alabaster pearl in the white and then put the same pearls in the clear coat. it was an interesting effect. The thing turned silver in the sun at certain angles and worked out pretty well. I built a Novi that was painted with white, then green candy then clear with green pearls in it then shot with clear with alabaster pearls in it. that was a very cool effect. You have to experiment to get what you want.

Only thing you have to be careful about is some of the stuff that comes from House of Kolor comes as liquid additives. The carrier for these is often urethane so you can't add it to dope. I have used urethane color and such additives and it can be very cool. But just keep that in mind. That's mostly why I stick with dry pearls, metallics and similar.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here