News:

• May 07, 2024, 12:22:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Patterns on top of film  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Patterns on top of film
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »
I have various kinds of film covering.  Some is monokote, some is Towerkote and some will be Kolar Kote since it is on sale at Brodak and Aerokote.  If a wing, for example is covered with film, how can one put stripes or flames or camouflage pattern on it?   

Can film be used?  If so, must it be the same kind?   Can Dope be used?

Thanks

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Patterns on top of film
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
Allen,

Several methods are used.  1. Paint.  Lightly scuff with a Scoth Brite pad or 0000 steel wool.  Very light coat of primer.  Very light coats of paint/dope. 2. Use a low temp covering and SLOWLY heat into position using a covering iron on a low setting.  Work from the center out. 3.  Monokote can be applied using a glass cleaner that contains ammonia.  No shrinking required.  Sets overnight.  Also Monokote trim solvent works well, but apply very sparingly.  4.  Use self adhesive graphics or decals.  But, this is the most difficult because the graphic will wrinkle over a curved surface (perforated graphics work, but are still dificult).  I have used all these methods, but my favorite is paint.  Always works well for me.

Paul

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »
Lots of guys use Monokote on Monokote. I suspect it works with other covering types. There's a thread where Dan Rutherford describes using Windex as a way to move the trim around and use it as an adhesive.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 07:03:47 AM »
The best way to get started is to go here:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=254521&mesg_id=254521&listing_type=search

If one has further interest in this technique above link has further links noted. Or still with SSW a search for "Windex" (without the quotes) will come up with more although most of the good stuff begins on page 2 of the results.

As a teaser I really like the technique(s). They are a few limitations but not many. It will prove impossible to create the flames seen on hot rods for example; only  paint can create the fading from one color into another. But that does not keep one from making multi-color graphics.

We are only talking about MonoKote film over MonoKote film or UltraCote film. There are other base films which no doubt will work; I just don't know for certain which.

More importantly we are not talking about MonoKote "Trim Film" available in sheets. While some still use this material, it and other options are thicker than I like. In fact, so is MonoKote but it's the only game in town.

Don't be going too far afield when experimenting with material and/or techniques. Standard old Windex does the job. The particular adhesive on MonoKote film seems to be the key to making this work. The final step of outlining your work with a Q-tip soaked in MonoKote Trim Solvent nails stuff down for good.

While I didn't believe it at first (belated apologies to Scott 17) it is possible to apply the graphics through the Windex-and-dry steps and then go fly the model. While I am not enough of an artist to exploit this fully the idea is to see how effective your graphics are at the field. And yes, in the air. No kidding. Fly the model, have someone else fly the model. Don't like what you see? Peel the film off and try another set of graphics. (At the upper levels of PA there is frequently an effort made toward having graphics which emphasize, for example, sharp corners. I am almost clueless as to what works and what is just foof but this is one consideration. And you may well have others.)

On this subject we will no doubt be treated to further input from you-know-who. Caution and/or testing is advised...

While I have never posted pictures of my own work here or on SSW I will see if the efforts of others can be linked. Or Mr. Keith Varley is known to have postable pictures of a particular flag-waving Flite Streak of mine and maybe he'll help us out. It's a pretty neat piece, Pukey Profile or not.

Speaking of which the "Windex" search will point you to a post started by Steve Helmick which in turn gets you to a video detailing how to make graphics which would seem to be impossible even when looking at the finished product. I immediately adopted these procedures for my more complicated work.

Dan

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:39:11 AM by dirty dan »
Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
While this will prove a little awkward there are pictures of some of my models on the excellent Flying Lines site. Many thanks to Mr. John Thompson, ever the effective promoter of CL flying here in the NW.

Go here:

http://flyinglines.org/planes.0909.html

And here:

http://flyinglines.org/planes.10.08.html

In light of the context of this discussion all models discussed feature not a lick of paint: it's all film. That's not a brag as I am merely too stupid to mix materials during finishing. Besides, once one settles on a concept why not do as we all do, taking a good idea to sometimes silly extremes?

In each case you must scroll down. In the first the 4th picture is Smoothie on Steroids, finished in Micafilm and MonoKote. More to the point in this discussion all the graphics were cut from MonoKote, applied using the "Windex Method" even if that is a poor way of referring to it.

The 5th picture shows my plus-10% (or so) Flite Streak which only looks like a FS, most of the tricks described in caption. Base film is white UltraCote. It seems important to note that the blue and red MonoKote is the transparent variety, not the more common opaque. Applied over white this makes the transparent colors "pop," although this is subjective. And it makes the stars in field of blue quite easily accomplished.

In second set of pictures is my first Wimpact, now "damaged" as Howard would say, 5th & 6th pictures from top. (Not the best of photos in that the colors are not true for some reason.)

Again, no paint. Worth noting is that my AMA numbers and "Wimpact" cut from black MonoKote and then overlaid with transparent MonoKote.

Also of possible interest is that "Bad Boy Stunt" logo was indeed hand-cut by myself even if such is at the upper limit of my patience. It was only through Steve coming across a technique for this that I was able to get through it. But the real message is that even something like this is possible and if nailed down by the use of Trim Solvent it will stay put through constant cleaning.

Wing is foam sheeted with .050" balsa; no open bays. Horizontal stab is foam, sheeted with 8-pound 1/32" balsa. Fuselage has foam core, again sheeted, in this case with 8-pound 1/16" balsa.

The W500, not pictured, is a 500-inch version of the basic Wimpact design, in itself a mere rip-off of Paul's Impact, this done by simply scaling down this excellent PA model. But y'all got me talking and so I would like to note that when starting on W500 I enlisted the help of Derek Moran. He came up with a superb fuselage design based upon the use of SpiderFoam for the core and with balsa sheeting.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »
Having said all of the proceeding it must be noted that the late Arlie Preszler was an absolute master when it came to laying down a base of MonoKote and then applying the rest of the finish with paint. His models never failed to impress. Alas, I have no idea how he did this although others might be able to help.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »
check this out

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
What Dan says about 'coat.  In my own small way I've had similar successes.

I've never had success getting big pieces of Monocoat to lay down onto complex curves -- on a ribbed wing, it seems like thin stripes and letters is as far as I can get.  For bigger graphics I've been using paint.  I've only done two planes that way so far, but it's been working very nice.

Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel (in a rattle-can or through a spray gun) is compatible with 'coat finishes.  You don't need to scuff up the surface -- just clean it thoroughly as you would any other painted surface that you're going to put another coat on.  See Allen Brickhaus's "Finishing The Olympus" article in the May or June 2010 Flying Models -- he claims to have been doing it for years with great success.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »
check this out

Yep. Thanks for the direct link although this is the one referred to earlier as having been put forth by my buddy Steve Helmick. It is assumed that not everybody can get through this process, or even want to, but in cutting out that "Bad Boy Stunt" logo seen on my first Wimpact and other semi-gory projects it has been conclusively proven that even whack jobs can get reasonable results via this video and with some practice.

I think the real value of this video is its application to much simpler graphics which more people (read: normal people) are likely to attempt while still wanting good results.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »
What Dan says about 'coat.  In my own small way I've had similar successes.

I've never had success getting big pieces of Monocoat to lay down onto complex curves -- on a ribbed wing, it seems like thin stripes and letters is as far as I can get.  For bigger graphics I've been using paint.  I've only done two planes that way so far, but it's been working very nice.

Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel (in a rattle-can or through a spray gun) is compatible with 'coat finishes.  You don't need to scuff up the surface -- just clean it thoroughly as you would any other painted surface that you're going to put another coat on.  See Allen Brickhaus's "Finishing The Olympus" article in the May or June 2010 Flying Models -- he claims to have been doing it for years with great success.

Yes, much of the stuff on my Wimpact (sheeted surfaces) would be a bit of a nuisance on many built-up wings. It's merely a case of the application being suitable. Or not...

While you may be perfectly justified in your paint suggestions, it does need to be pointed out the models in question have probably not been through years of use and a great many cleaning cycles. I think that in the interests of long-term adhesion of paint to film a light scuffing and surgical-quality cleanliness prior to painting is the best approach. And as I always add to these sorts of discussions, one simply cannot shake rattle-cans too much! Ignore directions on the can! Strap the cans to a wheel on your car and drive around for 20 minutes hitting every pot-hole you can find. (It's a joke, okay? But not far off from the sort of agitation desired.)

Hint: Get the pressure out of an old rattle-can. Cut it out open. Now explain to me how that big ball is expected to stir up all the pigments which have settled around edges at bottom of can.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
While you may be perfectly justified in your paint suggestions, it does need to be pointed out the models in question have probably not been through years of use and a great many cleaning cycles. I think that in the interests of long-term adhesion of paint to film a light scuffing and surgical-quality cleanliness prior to painting is the best approach.

The only reply I can have to that is to reiterate my suggestion that anyone interested in doing this read Mr. Brickhaus's article, reflect on the fact that he's been in the game for decades with his system, and that he recommends a thorough (surgical, even) cleaning, but not scuffing.

And if I'm not recollecting things right and he is recommending scuffing -- scuff.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »
The only reply I can have to that is to reiterate my suggestion that anyone interested in doing this read Mr. Brickhaus's article, reflect on the fact that he's been in the game for decades with his system, and that he recommends a thorough (surgical, even) cleaning, but not scuffing.

And if I'm not recollecting things right and he is recommending scuffing -- scuff.

Sigh...

Having a good bit of experience myself with various paints over film and/or overlapping film I must simply disagree. I would also like to note that some of this experience comes from a time when I was dabbling in RC Pattern where, at least at that time, it was common to see the use MonoKote on flying surfaces, paint on the fuselage (although not on my own models). Even on some of the very best models, finished by folk who were more than merely competent in this department it was not uncommon--on well-flown and two-year-old or so pieces--to see some flaking and eroding of the paint, especially at the usual high-wear areas where a paint/film lap existed or frequent cleaning was required. (After all, this was the tail-end of the era of piped two-strokes so cleaning of the models was similar to what we face today.)

I stand by my comments made earlier.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 01:39:50 PM »
I figured Dan would chime in, just not quite to that extent.   ;D

Thanks, Dan.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »
I figured Dan would chime in, just not quite to that extent.   ;D

Thanks, Dan.

Yes, and that makes this all your fault!

While I might have missed it somehow there doesn't seem to have been a lot of discussion here in regard to finishing in plastic film. And even if there is a butt-load of information here it is surely dwarfed by the database over at SSW.

So it might be time to get caught up.

Again, this is your fault. Tim's long, slow death from multiple slashings with an Uber Skiver will be on your head, not mine.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
I love a guy that takes responsibility for his own behavior. Makes me proud.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 02:25:47 PM »
I did a Magnum (scratch built) that I covered with Econocoat and tried the Rustoleum over it.  Never got the paint to really stick.  In fact it came off in sheets.  I used three different trim colors, none of which "took"..............

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »
I did a Magnum (scratch built) that I covered with Econocoat and tried the Rustoleum over it.  Never got the paint to really stick.  In fact it came off in sheets.  I used three different trim colors, none of which "took"..............

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

What?! You didn't know enough to wait on the Magnum, reading Allen's article first? Tim is bound to be miffed.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 07:11:28 PM »

What?! You didn't know enough to wait on the Magnum, reading Allen's article first? Tim is bound to be miffed.

Dan

The esteemed Mr. Dirt,

Got a set of triple cored wings and a set of plans from somewhere so I built it.  Could have gotten a kit, but I understand the kit cores are not triple cored.  I did actually read Allen's article which is what prompted me to use the technique for finishing.  Flew the plane for maybe 12 flights and decided to do something with the finish.  It is now stripped and awaiting a new finish of silkspan and dope.  Only been setting for, oh, maybe 10 years now.

Tim will get over it...............

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 08:06:24 AM »
I go over the windex method in quite a bit of detail on the T-Rex build thread I did in the electric forum.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here