News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:56:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Panel lines? How would you deal with this?  (Read 695 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Panel lines? How would you deal with this?
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:55:42 AM »
If you've visited the Carrier section you know I'm in the finishing stages of my FJ-4 Carrier airplane. Almost ready to decide if I'm going to try my hand at panel lines. Have the proper pen(s) both Staedtler Sketch Pens and a Rapidograph bought long time ago but have never tried to actually use them.

I understand most of the basics, clear dope lightly sanded, use a raised straight edge and squirt a little clear over the lines as you go. What I'm worried about is going over the top of the fuselage on this particular airplane. As you can see in the photo I added 1/8 balsa sides to the 1/2 inch fuselage to simulate the razor back of the FJ. This leaves a step I must navigate through when I do the lines over the top. Afraid I'm going to end up with a blob in the step and wondering what I might use as a guide that would be flexable enough?

Any tips appreciated...

Offline Steve Kocher

• Commander
Re: Panel lines? How would you deal with this?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:08 AM »
Bob,

You can use a flexible ruler.  Just add a sufficient amount of masking tape to the bottom to raise the edge above the surface to prevent the ink from wicking under the ruler. 

The great thing about adding panel lines is that you can easily erase any mistakes with a paper towel and alcohol.  Just be patient.  You are going to smear a line or two.  Just erase it with the alcohol and start again.  When you are satisfied with it, you can hit it with the clear to make it permanent. Most importantly, have fun!

Steve.
Steve Kocher
AMA 388654

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Panel lines? How would you deal with this?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »
Several layers of electrical tape might work with the layers stepped to provide the no weep area under the edge?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here