News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:52:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting traps  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Painting traps
« on: September 09, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
Well, I'm cruising along on the new plane. One of the traps I tend to fall into is what might be called, being too creative. I love trying out new ideas, but it's easy to get too much paint on and ending up with a beautiful, but useless hanger queen. Just a reminder that as you are being creative with your paint scheme, remember to go easy on the paint.

As a side now, I've discovered that trim tapes (3M blue vinyl, Finesse Pinstripping and similar) don't tend to want to stick very well to metallic paints. I did a fairly complicate taping job and came out last night to shoot color and had to go back and replace several areas that had inside curves. The tape had wrinkled up along inside curves and had to be reapplied. I had cleaned the surface with prep-sol before taping and even used nitrile gloves, but still had several areas where I got what I call "tape creep". I am, at this point, assuming that it's due to taping metallic colors. The surface just seems, I don't know, not slick. But it is does have a sort of soapy feel to it.

Anyway, just something to be aware of. I got all the spots fixed and shot some clear sealer over the tape just to make sure. Hopefully, I can shoot color tonight.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Painting traps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:41:44 PM »
Randy,
decent observation, I to have noted some issues with tape adhesion on metallic colors. However most of the time I believe its because there is more texture on metallics than there is on straight colors. Personally I ALWAYS shoot a coat of clear over metallics before masking. I have had lots of issues with tapes adhesive creating discoloration on the metallic particles. Not so much these days with modern materials, but just the same,,,,,,
a couple things to add to your list of "do this on difficult situations",, make sure your tape is as fresh as possible especially on known difficult situations, as you can relate, 8 $ for a new roll of tape is easily worth it compared to  remasking a complex design. I try to keep my good fineline, and other masking tape sealed in a ziplock bag so that the adhesive doesnt dry out, this helps, also keep it out of dust,, (duh!) and out of the sun. When masking tighter radius corners, I usually "pull " the corner once to prestretch the tape, then lift it and relay it so that it doesnt have as much tension on it. after its masked I immediatly go back on the inside of the radius ( actually that is somewhat decieving, lay the 1/4" crepe on the side that isnt getting painted, regardless of which way the radius goes)and lay a track of 1/4 crepe tape along it, this will help stabilize the stretch so it is less likely to pull. Of course keep the temp as stable as possible once its masked until you actually spray it, if you turn the heater off overnight the temp change is an invitation for problems.

Just some thoughts, hope ya dont mind,, looking forward to seeing the new beast!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »
Mark,

Yep, all that. Part of the problem, as I examined things, was when I masked off the taped area, I ran a razor (very lightly) over the taping to cut the masking to shape. This can be tricky because if you go through to the taping, it can split it and cause all kinds of problems. In fact, this is what happened in two areas (of course, on the toughest parts to fix). I think I'll be good to go tonight since i sealed it all up with a coat of clear to seal the tape, but I guess we'll see.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:01:28 PM »
I have some old mole traps that need painting. They were gold, probably to attract the females. What techniques and materials would you suggest?  S?P  BW@  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here