News:

• May 08, 2024, 10:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting the "Agromaster"...  (Read 974 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Painting the "Agromaster"...
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:36 PM »
 I'm finally in the final finishing stages of a kit-bashed Sig Akromaster that I've now dubbed an "Agromaster".

Details of the model itself can be found here: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=19108.0

Tonight I finished the white basecoat. "The Plan" is to mimic a factory type Cessna paint scheme. Colors will be white with red and black trim. I'm going to have to cheat some lines here and there because the relationships of the wing and other flying surfaces relative to the fuse on the model are actually quite a bit different than on the real bird. We'll see how it goes... ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:23:11 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Painting the Agromaster...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »
I like it, Wayne, especially the droop tips like the Cessna's.  I see a couple of Cessna ag planes in the building phase and I find it curious at this time because I'm building a Pawnee semi-scale for my Evo 60 as we type.   ;)
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
 I sprayed the dark grey canopy and the red on the wingtips a couple of nights ago. Last night I grilled out and drank margaritas. :## Tonight I did the red on the fuselage. I wanted to make the full length stripe about twice as wide as it is toward the rear, but to keep the line unbroken the wing and pushrod exit fairing gets right in the way. I also left some room below the red because I'm planning a black stripe below it. Next will doing be some red along the leading edges of the wing. What appears as a sloppy edge along the red in these photos is just loose paint flash from unmasking. Once it dries completely I can wet sand along the line with some 800 and the edges will (normally ;D) clean up.

I'm trying to get'er finished up so I can drag it along for some "show and tell" at the Sig contest next weekend. If that's gonna happen I'm figuring that I want the final clearcoats on it no later than Monday night to allow for some drying time before final assembly. With having to show up for the pesky job thing both Saturday and Sunday, and with the rest of the paint details I've got planned for it, it's gonna be really tight. We'll see. H^^

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »
Just finished up spraying the wing leading edges and top trim on the fin/rudder tonight. That's it for the red! ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Painting the "Agromaster"...
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
Looking good Wayne. Besides red, what other colors and trim are you planning on using? Are you going for that semi-scale look with Ag products decals and such? #^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 10:35:45 AM »
Thats pretty cool.  Nice kit bash. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 06:17:17 PM »
Looking good Wayne. Besides red, what other colors and trim are you planning on using? Are you going for that semi-scale look with Ag products decals and such? #^

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to add a black stripe down the fuse and a band around the wingtips and call it good. I'm trying to be completely finished with the paint work by Monday night to have it ready for the Sig contest, just a timeframe goal more than anything.
  For more detail I had originally planned a scale looking N number on the fuse sides and maybe a fictitous Ag company logo of some sort, but I've got way too much masking time in this thing already for what it really is. This model has been hanging in the corner of my shop built and basically ready for paint for at least a few years. It's just gotta get done so I can get on with the next project. It'll just be another fun fly semi-scale looking stunter to have in the "hangar".

Wayne Willey

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
A spray plane really isn't complete without some of these  :X :X :X for nose-art.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »
 I just finished spraying the black trim tonight. Before I was done I ended up adding an extra black stripe on the vertical fin above the red. After doing the wingtips it just needed some more black on the fuse to balance things out visually.

Tomorrow it'll be a good sanding of all the paint edges to knock them down and then shoot the clear. Supposedly we've got some heavy weather coming this way so I'm expecting to be battling some blushing. I don't have any retarder on hand so cross your fingers for me. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »
That looks like a fun little unit.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »
 I just sprayed a couple good heavy coats of clear on. It's 69 degrees and 48% humidity in the shop. It looks like I used flat clear. S--t!

Wayne Willey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here