News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting Score cowl.  (Read 873 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Painting Score cowl.
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
Anybody else tried painting a Score cowl?

I don't know what that red paint they use is but I tried painting a Score cowl, finally gave up and threw it away. I wet sanded it with 400, cleaned it with lacquer thinner then tried to paint it with Rustolium. Paint just beaded up like I was trying to paint a grease ball. Sanded it off, cleaned it with acetone tried to squirt Rustolium primer on with the same results. At that point I gave up and threw it in the trash as I had another cowl.

Recovering my score I might need to try again and was wondering if anyone has tried and seceded.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Painting Score cowl.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:37:45 PM »
Hello Bob, I wet sanded my Score cowl with 400 or 600, don't remember now, then sprayed it several times with auto lacquer primer, letting it dry, and wet sanding between coats, finally got the Red covered and sprayed auto base coat and then auto clear..   Hope that this helps... Gil        #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »
Hi Bob, on my grandfather's score he sanded the cowl down and primed it with auto primer I think, after stripping the monokote off of course.  Then he sprayed it with enamel that was mixed at a paint store to hopefully get a match to the ultracote
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 06:06:21 AM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:47:16 AM »
Bob

That sounds a bit like there was silicone on the cowl. It doesn't take much and it's hard to remove.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here