News:

• May 13, 2024, 11:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: painting clear monokote  (Read 1086 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
painting clear monokote
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
Does anybody have any experience with spraying epoxy paint over clear Monokote? Clear Monokote is supposed to be treated somehow for better paint adhesion, but how well does it really work?

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: painting clear monokote
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I've never heard of this being done. I have heard of it being done over some of the other plastic coverings the combat guys tend to use.

It would be wonderful if it works good though. I have used epoxy over regular monokote. I had some trim iron ons that I wanted to seal the edges down well. It worked for several years, but eventually started flaking off. Might not have been prepped correctly though, as we just made sure it was clean, and sprayed the clear epoxy on.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:13:45 AM »
I covered the wing of an R/C scale Hurricane in silver solarfilm, then rubbed it down with a Brillo pad to take the shine off it, then sprayed it with scale camouflage enamels (matt) then scratched of the paint in a scale fashion, wing walks, gun panels etc. I then sprayed it with matt clear, never had any problems even when the covering wrinkled slightly in the sun!

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Dave Holtsclaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:17:07 AM »
I had good results with rubbing monokote down with very fine steel wool then paint it like you would normally. If I got a sag I just went over it with the iron.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »
Scotch Brite pad for scouring pots and pans.  Need to make the surface dull like using SLC.  I have found that all plastic coverings have a slight oily surface.  Even using alcohol and/or acetone after scouring the surface with the pad.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »
I have not used Epoxy paints but have used Perfect Camo paints and the adhesion is pretty good - not perfect but pretty good -apparently the scothbrite trick helps but I can't say for sure  ::)
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »
Bill
I am in the middle of figuring out how to make this work! HB~>

In the Recent past where the monokote ends near the fuselage I would paint 1/4 inch or so of the plastic with the fuselage to seal the edge of the plastic.
Using Pactra spray urethane worked real well and only wiped the plastic with pre-kleano.
So no Pactra Urethane went the way of Aero Gloss.

My current project is covered with SLC and will be painted so am experimenting.

Covered piece of balsa with SLC and tried wiping with pre-Kleano(grease oil, wax remover) the a coat of Dope.
After drying masking tape pulled the Dope right off.
Scuffed with steel wool and same results.

Then tried Dupli Color primer and it is stuck really well and so far can not make it come off with tape.
So far it has not cracked even with wrinkling part of it and then pulling back tight and popping it.
Seems to adhere very well.

Next will try to use dope over the primer. If the Dope does not attack the primer then for now I think I'm good to go with the paint job.

OTHER stuff that I have used in the past. Plastic is made from oil so oil is part of it!

There is a special for plastic wax, grease, oil remover that also expands the pores for better adhesion.

There is available a special for plastic primer/adhesion promoter primer available for bumpers, motorcycles.......
The stuff I used was only available in spray cans and went by the name of Bull Dog. Works good but have no idea of its weight. This was 20 or so years ago.

Its possible I remember and adhesion promoter that could be added to regular prime and paint. Not sure.

Good luck with it and let us know what works out.

David Roland

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »
Clear Monokote and SLC are two completey different coverings!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »
Yes They Are Douglas!

The SLC seems to work as well as old monokote and possibly better!

SLC seems happy from econokote iron temp setting up to somewhere below Monokote temp.

Fast-cal and seal lamin film are few other clear iron ons.

Bill
The Plastic Pre-Kleano and Bull Dog primer(adhesion promoter) should help you with the Monokote/paint.
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here