News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint Strainer  (Read 906 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paint Strainer
« on: August 30, 2023, 07:19:05 AM »
Getting ready to start spraying color on my El Diablo using the Preval System. The Preval System is easy and cheap for spraying but is sensitive to any globs in the paint mix. The paint needs to be strained. I have looked at Home Depot for strainers but they are very large was wondering what others have used for small jars?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Paint Strainer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 10:54:49 AM »
Update: For small quantities (4 - 6oz) I found that a simple gauze pad can be fit over a small jar (like one with 2" ish diameter top), make a pocket and hold it on with a rubber band, then pour the dope through. It is fine enough to catch the globs but open enough for the paint to flow through in a reasonable time.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 08:31:32 PM »
I go to the NAPA auto finishers store they have a variety available. You can buy them on line as well.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 02:07:34 PM »
The gauze strainer worked really well for the Preval Spray System. By straining the paint, it gave smooth paint that sprayed very cleanly with no spits or clogs in the spray powerhead. Worth do and cheap.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 02:53:35 PM »
Guys,
Found one thing that makes the Preval Spray System work reliably is to strain the paint. This is very important with any spray system but doing it for the Preval is something that eliminates the plugging that some have experienced. The Preval bottle has a smallish neck, I tried using a gauze pad over the opening, making a pocket and pouring through. This worked but was very slow and a little messy.

I found that using a simple plastic soda cut a few inches from the open end, sand off the molded in threads and it fits nicely into the Preval bottle neck. I use a section of Gauze pad inside the funnel. It is easy to pour a good amount into the funnel and filter it without it going all over.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here