News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:37:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint spray guns  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Dudley Lang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Paint spray guns
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »
Just getting back into the sport after a long lay off.  In the 60's I painted everything with a brush.  I have just finshed building a ship and I wanted a better looking finish.  I bought a gravity feed detail spray Harbor Freight.  I am really not satified with it.  What guns do you guys recommend?   Dudley Lang

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Paint spray guns
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
Dudley,

Do a search of the site for spray guns. You'll find a ton.

In short, it kinda depends on how much money you want to spend. Like a lot of things, You have the cheap stuff, then a broad class of so-so stuff, then the stuff that's professional class.

My current best suggestion for a gun that is not horrifically expensive but is very predictable and easy is the Sharpe Finex detail gun. Runs around $100 (though I've seen them on sale for as little as $75) and is a very consistent and predictable unit. Not in the class of an Iwata or SATA gun, but certainly reasonable. I use one to shoot color coats and trim.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:20:10 PM »
As Randy says,, The Finex is a very solid gun for the money. They only minor squabble with them that I have, they require THOUROUGH cleaning every use. For some reason the design is prone to trapping paint in a couple little areas that cause grief next time you use it. However, if you clean it well it will serve you for  a long time.
Personally I use a Sata Mini-jet, I also just recieved an Iwata detail gun that I am anxious to try. My Iwata airbrush is a tool of fantastic precision and reliability so I expect this detail gun to be its equal, though in fairness, I will most likely use it only for color, and maintain my minijet for clear. The Iwata just doesnt have as big of a pattern for spraying clear.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »
Mark,

Yea, I was surprised about how finicky the Finex is on being clean. I thought I had cleaned it well, then when I went to use the the next time, it acted kinda wonky. I ended up taking it all apart and found a tiny glob on color on the internal main needle jet. Cleaned the gun out really well and it would great again.

Yea, yea, brag about the Iwata. Sniff, sniff.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:55:57 PM »
Randy,
I would let you hold it for awhile ifyou wanted to,,
its REALLY pretty,, and feels really good in my hand..
I may even let you spray some thinner through it,, maybe,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:31:22 PM »
Mark,

Now see, that's just mean, man (OK, so it's an esoteric movie reference)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
 Would it be better to let you spray some thinner through them? then you could pretend your painting something  LL~ S?P
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 10:59:57 AM »
lol,, well to my credit, I did point him at the Sata minijet which he now has and loves,, and his finex is also one of my reccomendations,, to bad for him he doesnt have a really really nice Iwata airbrush,,
I get to tease him, he outflies me all the time, so this is my revenge lol,, S?P H^^
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »
I now have the SATA, a Finex (and Mark recommended the second - Walt Prey actually recommended the first), a Jaguar Mini-Jet (a high end SATA ripoff, but works really well) and a cheap Harbor Freight full sized gun for shooting primer (why spend the bucks on a primer gun?). Also have a Paasche air brush that needs replacing. Probably with an Iwata.

BTW: the movie reference was from Payback. James Coburn in his last movie to Mel Gibson when Gibson shoots his alligator bags.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
Hey Mark:   I have a Sharpe Platinum HVLP,  got it about 7~8 years ago. 
What's your opinion on it, how does it compare with the high end pro stuff you use.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »
Hi Randy ,

You might consider a Harder & Steenbeck airbrush .

Just my personal experience , it's a touch better , than the IWATA .

All the best ,

http://www.germanairbrush.com/

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
Rob, as an interested party, what do you believe are the atributes of the Harder that make it superior to an Iwata, and which Iwata would you be comparing it to?

Allan, the Sharpe Platinum, I really dont know a lot about it, I have never sprayed with one. I went away from Sharpe guns when they changed from the standard model 75 to the new version, and I bought one, I detested that gun, I hated the way it fit my hand, and the balance was not good, but the part that really chapped my hide, it sprayed better,, sigh, though I couldnt stand handleing it. I cannot imagine that its a bad gun, Sharpe has always been a reliable gun so I have confidence that its pretty workable.
From there I went to a Kremlin, and now pretty much my full sized guns are Sata, or my detail stuff, and of course my Iwata airbrush that is better than anything I have ever held!

EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 04:39:48 AM »

Hi.

Does somebody know if all the new Iwata's have Teflon (or similar) needle seals? I have a few RG-2 guns bought about 8 years ago and they have seals made from something that looks like leather. Anyway, I turned new ones from Teflon which is much better. I just remember reading somewhere that they've gone to Teflon.. L

larry borden

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
I've been using a gravity feed gun rom Home Depot about 60 bucks I think. Seems to work great and cleanup is easy, I clean the canister with acetone, por that out refill and spray acetone until empty. Been working for me.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
Larry, and others,
inexpensive guns can work ok,, but its just like airplanes,, you fly a ringmaster and its the best thing you ever flew, then you fly a flapped profile and ITS the best thing ever,, then you fly something that is trimmed, and properly designed, and you realize,, WOW,, this is AWESOME.
spray guns, and tools in general are just like that. Until you have used something that truly is a precise instrument, You dont realize what compromises you are making in performance.
Now you go use what you want, but for me,, I will swear by my equipment.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »
inexpensive guns can work ok,, but its just like airplanes,, you fly a ringmaster and its the best thing you ever flew, then you fly a flapped profile and ITS the best thing ever,, then you fly something that is trimmed, and properly designed, and you realize,, WOW,, this is AWESOME.
spray guns, and tools in general are just like that.
Moral: Don't borrow Mark's equipment unless you have a HUGE spray-gun budget!!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 03:41:44 PM »
Tim, no worries there, my spray guns get loaned about as often as,, well, ok so they dont get loaned. The guy I do restoration work with, ( master painter, custom and production) wont even ask to borrow my airbrush even though its better than his,, lol I require a deposit to even look at them,,  VD~
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
Tim, no worries there, my spray guns get loaned about as often as,, well, ok so they dont get loaned. The guy I do restoration work with, ( master painter, custom and production) wont even ask to borrow my airbrush even though its better than his,, lol I require a deposit to even look at them,,
Well, I think it's very considerate of you, then, to help keep the rest of us from needing to spend all that money!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 12:50:55 AM »
Dont know if any one has tryed central pheumatic Adjustable Mini Detail spray gun from harbor, but it sprays color dope great. Pick up the first one with a coupon from the ama for 9.99. Just got one today for 12.99. I have not tryed clear with it but at this price I can have one every color. These seem to spray color better than my $200 Devilbiss, it could be that there are top feed. I still like the top trigger of the old gun.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »
Dudley,  you have received some of the best recommendations from some of the best when it omes to painting.  Now in my opinion, which means little,  you can have the best gun in the world and with out practice it is no better than the cheaper guns.  Go with what you can afford and practice.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
Doc,

That's a point that needs to be made. It's great if you can afford a high end Iwata or SATA or similar gun. It makes like a lot easier and they are utterly predictable and easy to use. But you don't have to have one to get good results. You can make a cheap Harbor Freight job work with some practice. It's just going to be inconsistent, wear out prematurely and be a pain, but it can be made to work. I once picked up a gun from a company called, of all things, Air Force Sprayguns. It was a relatively cheap (like $40 at the time) gun that was not too bad. With some practice and a lot of fiddling, I figured out how to get the most out of it and shot many planes with it that came out really well. It was the best I could afford at the time and I was able, with a lot of practice, to get it to work pretty well. But it took a lot of work, adjustment and fiddling every time I used it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »
 R%%%%While I wont disagree with the premise that an inexpensive gun can work fine, I will equate it to this,, How much is the motor in your airplane worth,how much do you have invested in paint, wood, controls,, just one airplane? now how many hours did you spend building, sanding and covering it? Now how many hours will it take to FIX it if the gun does screw up on you,, and how much is your time worth? A spray gun will last for eternity, well ok so at least long enough to paint every airplane you ever build, some lawn furniture, maybe a picture frame or whatever else you want to paint. Its a pretty cheap investment when you get down to it really. I DO understand about budgets, trust me,, but if you can afford a 400$ engine, maybe a decent spray gun isnt really THAT far out of the budget,,
 R%%%%
I feel the same way about buying and using thinner other than what was engineered for the product,, guys making LOTs of money designed the thinner to work for the product at hand,, theres a reason,, Yeah < I am pretty hardcore about it, but then I have painted a long time, I have had enough issues with using all the RIGHT stuff to never be tempted to save a few bucks using the wrong stuff, but thats me,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 07:54:44 AM »
I can see valid points on both sides of this discussion.  But I know there are guys trying to enjoy the hobby on a budget, and they might be willing to stretch the budget for a quality engine, but probably feel they have to cut corners somewhere, just to stay in the hobby.  So they read about some guys who get by with the cheap guns and off brand thinners and figure those are some of the areas they can cut cost and stay active in the hobby.    I dont see it to be a big risk trying out the cheap guns because you can do test spraying on something else to make sure you have something that is not going to cause you a lot of grief with your plane.    

When I read about several others (some who have produced 20 pointers) who have used Dupont 3608S with various dopes for 20+ years,  you gotta figure it works..   On my latest finish job on the RMD, I used an off brand thinner with Randolph dope.  I had blotches when I applied covering with nitrate, and then crazing that sarted with the tinted butyrate coats and continued right to the end with the clear coats.  Will probably never know if the thinner had anything to do with that.  Sure would like to know.  Other possibilities, HOK Kandy Koncentrate was used for tint, also some say its the use of nitrate under the butyrate.    I used the off brand thinner mostly because it was available at a local body shop, didnt want to pay hazmet for gallon containers of thinner.  I have a Novar in the finishing process right now.  Used the same thinner with an auto lacquer primer/surfacer for base, and then with Brokak white for base color, no issues so far.    

Now Mark I know this is going to drive you crazy.  I have a Sharpe Platinum full size gun,  Binks HVLP detail gun,   & Iwata Eclipse air brush,   and then cut the corner with the off brand thinner..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »

Now Mark I know this is going to drive you crazy.  I have a Sharpe Platinum full size gun,  Binks HVLP detail gun,   & Iwata Eclipse air brush,   and then cut the corner with the off brand thinner..
*choke choke,, gasp, ARGHHHHHHH HB~> HB~>
seriously, Do what works, but dont gripe about the products if it goes to heck in a handbasket on ya, lol

I understand the desire to save money, TRUST me,, I guess part of my motivation for being kind of unwavering in my quest to inform, is that I have people ask me " what do you think went wrong, so and so said he does this and it works great,,so it has to be something else" I also take it very serious when someone asks my opinion, and if I were to reccomend a substandard thinner, spray gun, or technique, then I dont feel I am doing them right. SO  I will continue to be the voice of,,, well not sure what I am the voice of,, but I am gonna keep being it! H^^

Randy and I go round sometimes about his toner in clear dope method. Its working for him, he understands the risk/reward of what he is doing, and accepts that risk. I stand by what he does BECAUSE he acknowledges that it can be an issue, but as evidenced by his work, It works, for him,,,

As PTG says, rely on what works to know what works,, ( or something like that, ,,,)
If its working for you, well keep doing it then..

EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »
Mark,

That's a good point. I do use auto toners in dope. Chemically, they are inert (as long a you aren't using metallics or pearls in some sort of incompatible carrier). But as you say, I'm still taking a chance. I've used manufacturer approved materials from the wood to the clear and run into problems. But I can be pretty certain it isn't the materials. When you go off the reservation, it introduces the possibility that it is the material. One more thing to worry about.

Last note on spray guns. You don't have to have the top of the line to do a good job. But if you at least get the middle of the line, you take another variable out of the equation. The Sharpe Finex gun that I got on Mark's recommendation when my old DeVilbiss died is a middle of the road gun. Not the finest thing around, but of good quality. It's utterly predictable and repeatable. While not the greatest gun around and in certainly has a quirk or two (like the need for it to be completely clean), it's pretty easy to figure out and gives consistent results once you understand it. I'll take that.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Hey Mark:
My next project, after the Novar, will be another transparent finish.  
Going to use Randolph Butyrate only (no Nitrate) and with Randolph's thinner and retarder.  
Only off-brand item will be the HOK tint.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
Hey Mark:
My next project, after the Novar, will be another transparent finish.  
Going to use Randolph Butyrate only (no Nitrate) and with Randolph's thinner and retarder.  
Only off-brand item will be the HOK tint.
y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:06 PM »
<snip> R%%%%

I feel the same way about buying and using thinner other than what was engineered for the product,, guys making LOTs of money designed the thinner to work for the product at hand,, theres a reason,, Yeah < I am pretty hardcore about it, but then I have painted a long time, I have had enough issues with using all the RIGHT stuff to never be tempted to save a few bucks using the wrong stuff, but thats me,,

Mark, I could not agree more about the thinner comment.  I always use the thinner that was designed for the product.  When you use other thinners you venture into the area of becoming an experimental chemist.  The right thinner for the product just doesn't cost much, if any, more than the one designed for the product.  Guys just don't seem to realize that there is a lot more to thinning/reducing a product than just solubility.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Iwata is the choice of the Jive Combat Team, so you know it's good.  Iwata is imported by Will Naemura, combat and speed flyer and former F2A US team member.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »
Iwata is the choice of the Jive Combat Team, so you know it's good.  Iwata is imported by Will Naemura, combat and speed flyer and former F2A US team member.

Not only that, hes a genuinely great guy!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 11:11:21 AM »
I love my Iwata airbrush, and I have a Badger Anthem that is also great for what it is intended for.

I totally understand what you have always said, mark, and I applaud you for saying it.  It really will cut down on the potential for problems when the neophyte is spraying models.  I used to hang out with one of the country's top custom car painters.  He used only the same product all the way through, with the highest priced guns.  Then, again, he got five figures for a paint job, as a starting price, usually.  A $500 spray gun was peanuts to him......

I would also be in 100% total agreement with you as far as products used for our little airplane hobby if I hadn't seen years of Windy Urtnowski's (loaned) videos where he uses what he uses.  Windy has had more Concours winners than anyone else in stunt history, and his planes have held up for years........... and......... Billy Werwage and Bob Hunt.........

LL~ LL~ LL~

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »
I've also heard Windy gripe about adhesion problems and incompatibility. In the end, it's easier to use products your know have been engineered to work together. One less thing to worry about. But as one who has used all kinds of incompatible stuff together, my thought is, you pays your money and takes your chances. Sometimes it works out great. But it's another thing to worry about.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
I agree, Windy, et all, do very well with their systems, remember they have been using it for how many years,, and yeah I to have heard of them struggling,,
for those of us who dont have 40 years ahead of us,( or 40 years behind us in experience) its far better to reduce the risk factors. In stunt, the better the plane flies , the less excuses you have lol, same deal,, the spray gun wont neccesarily make you paint better,, but is sure can make you paint worse,,
Maybe part of the difference is,, I build so I can paint,, I LOVE sanding, and priming, and being anal picky,, It brings me JOY to spray, so I want the best tool in my hand when I do it. Its like flying, I dont enjoy flying my Ukey anymore, I would MUCH rather fly my Avenger, It responds to my desires honestly, and it feels better to me,, Just like my spray guns,,
but as said before, each to their own, Randy, bear with me here,,
I have often told Randy, I would DIE for a chance to come spend a week with him when he paints, I think I could sit in the corner and kibitz, just little tidbits that would make life smoother for him, he doesnt need my help with colors, layout, or for that matter technique, but theres just things that make life more simple, and straight forward, that would help prevent some of the silly things that happen. well except for bats falling on your plane, I got nothin there,,  n~ H^^ Not only that, I know that I could learn from him as well,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
Need to go to SSW and search for the Mustunt series of Al Rabe.  It is amazing some of the tools he has in his shop.  It is not even the high end equipment either.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here