News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:20:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: paint peel  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
paint peel
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:15:33 PM »
OK so I've been having trouble with paint peeling off of a silver undercoat. I know, tough world. My question is, does it help any to shoot the base coat (that's having the problem with stuff above it sticking) with a well thinned coat of clear? This is for future reference since I'm already elbow deep with this mess. Would it help to shoot over the top of the top color with a highly thinned coat of clear to lock it down?

Just soem passing thought while I clean up the mess.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline james dean

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
  • Rebel with a cause AMA 467575
Re: paint peel
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »
Randy,

Heres a thought, as I have been reading through old AMA mags gleaning for anything to help with my next painting project I ran across this from an "old sage" of the finishing wars. This is from the
Jan. 2007 AMA Model Aviation Pg 142.:  Phil writes that we should use an 80/20 thinner to clear  mix sprayed on quick and wet. This to prevent the dreaded base coat lift from the trim masking tape.

Hope that helps as I'm going to use this advise for my SV-11 also. If I can get my photo software instaled I'll get some pics up of the progress soon.

See ya!

James

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »
Yea, looking back I wish I would have shot a wet, well thinned coat of clear over the base coat. I did that over the primer, but didn't think about the top coat peeling from the metallic base. Sigh...

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:49:09 PM »
Ty,

I usually do (though I don't remember saying it here - could have). I've been concerned about weight and have been going as thin as possible. I'll certainly know better next time I use metallic paints. This plane, like a lot I've done recently, was an experiment. I've been learning to use pearls, metallics and candy colors and the best methods to apply them. Mistakes will be made. So you push on and learn from them.

I'm certainly learning a lot with this one.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »
I have always heard, from the very first advice on painting model airplanes years ago, that silver has a bad, bad habit of delaminating....................  one reason some people do not use silver as a blocking coat, and Windy even pointed it out repeatedly on his videos (as he often had the problem, even expected it, it seemed).  I know it wasn't Sig Silver, but it was still silver and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.  Silver delaminates I guess!

Of course, I have the perfect solution to all your painting woes....... don't use so many colors and you won't have to tape off as much, lowering the chance of pulling up paint.  Seriously.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »
Bill,

Yea, yea. Had I just shot a heavily thinned coat of clear over it, I wouldn't be having this problem. Sigh...

But tonight, I will shoot that coat over the whole thing since I still need to add some black and I don't want to peel up all the work I've done. It will be sorta alright.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »
Bill,

Yea, yea. Had I just shot a heavily thinned coat of clear over it, I wouldn't be having this problem. Sigh...

But tonight, I will shoot that coat over the whole thing since I still need to add some black and I don't want to peel up all the work I've done. It will be sorta alright.

Randy,

I always apply a thinned coat over the silver as a binder, sometimes even more then a thinned coat depending on wha t the rest of the finish is going to be. Even at that, I've learned to alwys use a little heat removing the masking.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »
Randy,

Oh great, come in with that now... ;D

I peeled tape on the repairs tonight. Went fine tonight (of course). Unfortunately, it's a bit darker over the repairs; the downside of using candy colors. But it will pass, I guess. While the idea was pretty good, the execution left a lot to be desired. The penalty of doing something you haven't done before, I guess. Next one, I'll know more.

I love exotic finishes, but they have their pitfalls.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 08:44:07 PM »
Randy,

Oh great, come in with that now... ;D

I peeled tape on the repairs tonight. Went fine tonight (of course). Unfortunately, it's a bit darker over the repairs; the downside of using candy colors. But it will pass, I guess. While the idea was pretty good, the execution left a lot to be desired. The penalty of doing something you haven't done before, I guess. Next one, I'll know more.

I love exotic finishes, but they have their pitfalls.

Sorry, I haven't been watching allot lately. Z@@ZZZ Anyway, candies is one of the cases where I use allot of clear over the base coat, it adds depth. I wish you luck with the candies, I did the Gladiator in candy yellow and by the end of the first season it was so faded out I swore off, at least Brodak's candies. I've got a line on some pigments one of our local guys has been using and some of his stuff is pretty amazing and light, so maybe when I refinish the Glad, it'll be WAY exotic!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 10:20:04 PM »
Randy,

Yea, I used House of Kolor Kandy Koncentrates. Excellent UV protection. I'm told it will not fade. Guess we'll see. Especially the blue. Heck, by the end of next year, it may just be a gray blob. But it looks pretty cool right now.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 05:47:41 AM »
Randy,

Yea, I used House of Kolor Kandy Koncentrates. Excellent UV protection. I'm told it will not fade. Guess we'll see. Especially the blue. Heck, by the end of next year, it may just be a gray blob. But it looks pretty cool right now.

I'll be watching closely.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 10:16:23 AM »
I had a very small patch of B25 and basic silver come up on the silver stripe on my Tucker 4.  I used Brodak silver as the base, then over sprayed it with Brodak clear, then a coat of B25 silver and two coats of clear. When I masked that for the Insignia Blue, I again oversprayed a light coat of clear on the tape edges. Using a heat gun to loosen the tape about 30 minutes after spraying the blue, I still got a one inch section of the silver that came up. Luckily I was  able to touch it up with an artists brush. Still..... LL~ HB~> HB~>

Sounds like we need to get down to the primer base. When I spray silver, I never use anything finer then 400 grit on the primer. Its course enough to give some tooth, but fine enough that it doesn't read through in the silver. I did the entire Jetco Sabre and even with all the trim and insignia I didn't have any lifts. Maybe I'm just lucky, every paint job is different.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »
         I've had a similar instance as you explained with the base silver. My problem started in and around the wing fillet. I then had it happen at the intersection of the stab and fuse. I was using candy colors and I wasn't so quick to point the finger at the paint. I had switched from Prather microballoons to Sig's version. I felt that this was surely the culprit. I assumed I didn't rough up the fillet enough so that the paint could tooth in properly. Generally after I sand filleted areas I clean them with a swab of laquer thinner prior to painting. Later on, during some of the trim stages I had paint lifting right off the silver when the tape was removed. I couldn't recall ever having this problem before. I then had problems as others explained in the above posts that when doing repairs in the candy as it becomes darker due to the second application. I even tried to fade some silver beyond the repair prior to spraying the candy. The repaired area actually looked better than the rest of the plane. I would have to say this is credited to the depth thats now being acheived. I will surely try this on the next plane to spray a coat of clear over the silver. This sounds like very good advice. Ken

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 09:47:33 PM »
Just to follow up. After fixing (it seemed endlessly) the various spots that peeled, before I went on, I shot the whole thing with some 85% thinned clear. Problem solved. Surface is resistant to even high stick masking tape. man, once in awhile I wish I would follow my own advice.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 07:17:01 PM »
Just to follow up. After fixing (it seemed endlessly) the various spots that peeled, before I went on, I shot the whole thing with some 85% thinned clear. Problem solved. Surface is resistant to even high stick masking tape. man, once in awhile I wish I would follow my own advice.

Hmmmm, Go figure.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »
Seems years ago now that I used to read articles of the time that guys/gals would get their planes finished up thru the base coats then spray/brush clear.   Most would say at least three coats and then go fly their design to see what it needed as far as adjustments before they would finish the plane.  Of course back then we didn't have all the built in adjustments like weight boxes, control horns and leadouts.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here