News:

• May 05, 2024, 09:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint lines,trim lines  (Read 1378 times)

Offline leoflyboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Paint lines,trim lines
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »
I,ve seen some loose reference to "green tape" but not enough specific info is given. The product is "Frogtape" dist by ShurTech Brands and can be had at Home Depot type places. It  boasts that it is super absorbent while expanding to block any bleed through or pullup,to form a microscopic barrier.  And it really does!! This is the cleanest tape Ive ever used, I cant really  praise it enough! I used it on my Cobra ,got great results even when pulled off 3 days later. This is it, no other tape will do!!  Try it   Regards Rob F

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Re: Paint lines,trim lines
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
3M Scotch is also brilliant.

green, Blue.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:49:20 AM »
The green Frogtape is a house painting product. Only comes in 1", 1.5", & 2" widths.  So for our applications, it would only work for straight trim lines.

3M has two different types of "Fine Line" tapes in their automotive product line, one is green and the other is blue.  These come in a variety of narrower widths (as small as 1/16" I think) which can be used for curves.

So when talking about tapes, just saying "green tape" can be confusing..

Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »
I use the blue 3M vinyl stuff sometimes when very tight corners are required (though it needs to be warm as the stuff will slip if the surface is cold). I also use Finesse Pinstripping's "The Edge" tape (comes in widths from 1/16" to 1/4"). Very fine edge and more important, a very thin tape so it doesn't leave much of a ridge on trim lines. And no bleed under. Great stuff popular with car painters.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:23:52 PM »
The Edge tapes from Finesse Pinstripping go down to 1/32" width. 
That what I used to do the pinstripes on my Chevelle.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:50:42 PM »
Allan,

Yea, I checked and not only does it go down to 1/32", they also sell metric sizes (special order) and it goes up to a inch. The Stripper stencil tape is pretty cool, too. The product is primarily for auto painters, but it works pretty well for toy airplanes.   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
 I use a lot of the 3M blue vinyl with pretty good luck, overall I'm happy with it. I use a lot of their blue masking tape too. I wouldn't mind trying some Frogtape for the heck of it though, where do you find the stuff? I bet the Finesse stuff is spendy.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 08:05:21 AM »
I use a lot of the 3M blue vinyl with pretty good luck, overall I'm happy with it. I use a lot of their blue masking tape too. I wouldn't mind trying some Frogtape for the heck of it though, where do you find the stuff? I bet the Finesse stuff is spendy.
Frogtape,  is where ever you get house painting supplies like Home Depot or Lowes.

http://www.finessepinstriping.com/   
The Edge tape is not spendy..   Like Randy said it is very thin and leaves a minimal ridge. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »
Frogtape,  is where ever you get house painting supplies like Home Depot or Lowes.

The Edge tape is not spendy..   Like Randy said it is very thin and leaves a minimal ridge. 

And, they will send you a free sample, if you call and ask-----at least they sent samples to me.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »
I always buy my tape in wider widths, and cut it with a #11 blade on a cutting mat with a straight edge. That way you can get what ever width you want. I have been using drafting tape, as it does not stick as tight as masking tape, but I might have to try some of the Frog tape. Sounds like it works very well.
Jim Kraft

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »

Thanks for the info Allen. I put in an online request for a free sample. I'll see what they send and give it a try. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here