News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint is rough  (Read 723 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Paint is rough
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »
I sprayed a coat of white this afternoon (Brodak).  Humidity was low and I sprayed around 20 pounds (at least that is what the regulator on the gun showed), mixed about 60/40 and the paint is rough in spots.  Would this be a pressure issue?I'm going to hit it with 600 or 800 hundred later and spray another coat. 

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Paint is rough
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:54:26 PM »
Sounds like orange peel. Paint probably wasn't thinned enough or the mixture on the gun was too rich. Best is to take a panel (like an old fuel or thinner can) and try adjusting the mixture on the gun. If you don't get anyway, try thinning the paint a bit more.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »
I sprayed a coat of white this afternoon (Brodak).  Humidity was low and I sprayed around 20 pounds (at least that is what the regulator on the gun showed), mixed about 60/40 and the paint is rough in spots.  Would this be a pressure issue?I'm going to hit it with 600 or 800 hundred later and spray another coat. 

Thanks,

James
James,.
Is the paint rough like sandpaper, or rough like the surface of an orange ( larger smooth rounded texture versus sharp tight texture)
Do the spots coincide with the path your spray gun took while you were spraying?
what thinner are you using
what temperature was the air ( and was there a lot of airflow past the surface while painting)
off the cuff, 20 psi sounds pretty low for pressure, what kind of gun are you using
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »
Sounds like orange peel. Paint probably wasn't thinned enough or the mixture on the gun was too rich. Best is to take a panel (like an old fuel or thinner can) and try adjusting the mixture on the gun. If you don't get anyway, try thinning the paint a bit more.
Randy,

I sprayed another coat today with added thinner and had much better results.  Also removed the regulator at the gun (I think it may be faulty) and used the one on the tank.  I was spraying around 20-25 pounds.  The biggest problem was I ran out of white and didn't have the forsight to order some more before hand. 

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
Sound like mixture needs to be 50/50.  Finished a B-Team racer and used last drop of paint on final cote. Now thats close !

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here