News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:23:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: paint crazing  (Read 2062 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
paint crazing
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »
I have a model painted with Lusterkote rattle can paint that is now all crazed! Its all topflite products start to finish. Looked great after clear finish, but now like I said, its all crazed. No paint is lifting or flaking. What can cause this and what is the remedy, I'm sure it involves lots of sanding. Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: paint crazing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
John,

I have had the same problem. Not sure if it is the color or the clear only------I suspect it is the clear.

Have you had it with colors when no clear was applied?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »
Yes ,now that I looked ,the one I noticed first was navy blue, now i see it on an orange model as well. other models sprayed with duplicolor then lusterkote clear have no problem.
AMA 874027

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »
typically crazing is a result of shrinking, violent shrinking as a matter of course. The only time I have really seen crazing is when coats were applied to soon after another, or when a basecoat is cured and not compatable with the topcoat. i suppose one theoretical situation would be if you sprayed the undercoats when it was cool and then followed with the topcoats soon after. this would be aggravated if after the coats were dryish, it were to be put into a very hot area. What happens in this situation is that the top coat has skinned over and the undercoats shrink or swell from the solvent movement and the skin cannot react to the movement so it splits.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 07:52:40 PM »
Mark,

You may be right-----the crazing I have seen on my stuff was in spots, and only appeared several months after painting. And, not all items have it............

Not "crinkled" but looks like lots of very tiny cracks. n~

Lustercote seems to be fuelproof, though.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 12:50:25 AM »
Lusterkote is a hard enamel paint and will crack over time. My Brodak Zero is looking like a model with fatigue cracks all over the fuse. It did take 2 years for them to start though.
Dennis

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 08:35:19 AM »
So if its cause is paint shrinking, should i sand back to prime, just till crazing is gone, or down to wood . thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »
Now if I sand back to primer can I refinish with dope or should I just go with same materials previously used. thanks
AMA 874027

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
Tough call. Even when you do everything right, weird stuff can happen due to atmospheric pressure or humidity or whatever (gremlins?). It's why I tend to use the same materials from bare wood to clear. cuts out at least some of the usual suspects.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »
John,
I guess that depends upon what you used for a base coat on the model. I would do as Randy suggests, stay with whats on the model. Putting laquer over the top of an emnamel product woudl be a total total mess. Howefver a coat of urethane catalyzed something as a barrier woudl help, but I stull wouldnt put laquer over it.
Now if I sand back to primer can I refinish with dope or should I just go with same materials previously used. thanks
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »
I'd contact Top Flite and ask them what the deal is, and how to fix it. It sounds to me like paint remover and getting rid of all the finish and all the covering would be the best solution. Why use the same stuff again, and potentially face the same problem again? That would really make you sick, huh?  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »
Wings are monokote, thats why I was considering sanding.  Also I am afraid of paint remover on wood, how do you get all residue off wood. Thanks John
AMA 874027

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here