Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

paint crazing

<< < (2/3) > >>

dennis lipsett:
Lusterkote is a hard enamel paint and will crack over time. My Brodak Zero is looking like a model with fatigue cracks all over the fuse. It did take 2 years for them to start though.
Dennis

John KruziK:
So if its cause is paint shrinking, should i sand back to prime, just till crazing is gone, or down to wood . thanks John

John KruziK:
Now if I sand back to primer can I refinish with dope or should I just go with same materials previously used. thanks

Randy Powell:
Tough call. Even when you do everything right, weird stuff can happen due to atmospheric pressure or humidity or whatever (gremlins?). It's why I tend to use the same materials from bare wood to clear. cuts out at least some of the usual suspects.

Mark Scarborough:
John,
I guess that depends upon what you used for a base coat on the model. I would do as Randy suggests, stay with whats on the model. Putting laquer over the top of an emnamel product woudl be a total total mess. Howefver a coat of urethane catalyzed something as a barrier woudl help, but I stull wouldnt put laquer over it.

--- Quote from: John KruziK on September 28, 2008, 01:38:24 PM ---Now if I sand back to primer can I refinish with dope or should I just go with same materials previously used. thanks

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version