Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

paint crazing

(1/3) > >>

John KruziK:
I have a model painted with Lusterkote rattle can paint that is now all crazed! Its all topflite products start to finish. Looked great after clear finish, but now like I said, its all crazed. No paint is lifting or flaking. What can cause this and what is the remedy, I'm sure it involves lots of sanding. Thanks John

Jim Oliver:
John,

I have had the same problem. Not sure if it is the color or the clear only------I suspect it is the clear.

Have you had it with colors when no clear was applied?

Thanks,
Jim

John KruziK:
Yes ,now that I looked ,the one I noticed first was navy blue, now i see it on an orange model as well. other models sprayed with duplicolor then lusterkote clear have no problem.

Mark Scarborough:
typically crazing is a result of shrinking, violent shrinking as a matter of course. The only time I have really seen crazing is when coats were applied to soon after another, or when a basecoat is cured and not compatable with the topcoat. i suppose one theoretical situation would be if you sprayed the undercoats when it was cool and then followed with the topcoats soon after. this would be aggravated if after the coats were dryish, it were to be put into a very hot area. What happens in this situation is that the top coat has skinned over and the undercoats shrink or swell from the solvent movement and the skin cannot react to the movement so it splits.

Jim Oliver:
Mark,

You may be right-----the crazing I have seen on my stuff was in spots, and only appeared several months after painting. And, not all items have it............

Not "crinkled" but looks like lots of very tiny cracks. n~

Lustercote seems to be fuelproof, though.

Cheers,
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version