News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:27:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P-40 Refurbish & Paint Recomendations  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Steve Maines

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
P-40 Refurbish & Paint Recomendations
« on: December 02, 2023, 08:26:43 AM »
I have an older P-40 Warhawk C/L model that I an refurbishing and have now patched all the tears in the wing. New silkspan and several coats of Brodak clear dope mixed 50/50 with thinners. The original colour scheme is light gray on the bottom of the wings, green/brown camo on the upper surface of the wing and on the fuselage. I'm not having luck matching the dope colours and wonder if there is an alternative paint that works. Spray cans would be ideal as I don't have an airbrush. A paint brush finish would suffice if I have to go that route. Any recommendations?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: P-40 Refurbish & Paint Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 09:09:38 AM »
An automotive paint store can match almost any color.  You may have to take the plane in.  I use English Color here.  They can mix and match anything.  Make sure you get something that will clear coat.  Plan "B" would be to find a spray color that is close and repaint the whole camouflage section that the patches intersect with, but that is weight -uggh.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Maines

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 09:50:18 AM »
An automotive paint store can match almost any color.  You may have to take the plane in.  I use English Color here.  They can mix and match anything.  Make sure you get something that will clear coat.  Plan "B" would be to find a spray color that is close and repaint the whole camouflage section that the patches intersect with, but that is weight -uggh.

Ken

What clear coats work that are glow fuel proof? I have a spray can of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane that is supposed to tolerate glow fuel to a point.

I am planning to use my old Fox 35 with Omega 15% fuel. I was advised to take a gallon of 15% Omega fuel, remove 14oz of fuel and then add 14oz of castor oil (maybe Klotz BeNOL) back to the gallon of fuel. This should be suitable for my Fox 35 engine.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 10:38:20 AM »
Steve, I am the wrong one to ask about clear coat for IC.  I am 100% electric now.  My last IC was painted with Rustoleum and was not clear coated except over the decals.  The Rustoleum (this was 2017) became fuel "proof" after about two weeks gassing off. I think I read that the latest 2x Rustoleum clear is not fuel proof.  I think they have changed their formula.   There are a gazillion threads arguing which clear coat is best over which paint.  Most are using some form of 2k automotive.  Search on "Clear Coat" then pop some popcorn, sit back and read the 79 pages of postings!  Fuel proof in itself is a misnomer.  Most finishes are just highly fuel resistant.  That is why we heavily waxed them and wiped them down between flights "back in the day".

If you get the colors from an automotive paint store ask them what clear they recommend.  Tell them that your fuel contains nitro.  They will know what you mean.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 05:26:22 PM »
I have a spray can of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane that is supposed to tolerate glow fuel to a point.

Way back in my "improvising" paint job days I used the exact Minwax spray you describe here. It works, but with multiple compromises. It's safe to spray over pretty much anything, and tolerates fuel well, but after a time (and less than you'd think) it gets brittle and develops spiderweb cracks all over. Also, if you need to do any sort of covering repair nothing sticks to it. Long story short, don't give yourself more headaches down the road by using it.
 In the case of your P-40 here, I'd suggest just repainting the entire model, ideally with dope. Better yet, hang it on the wall and build an all new one. D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve Maines

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 07:30:37 PM »
Thanks wwwarbird for that feedback, and I'm thinking my P-40 just but end up a wall hangar in the end.

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 06:34:20 PM »
Hello Steve, the Goldberg P-40 is one of my favorites. You could repaint with Brodak gray underneath and olive drab on top. Use a Prevail spray unit to spray a mix with reducer and dope. Get some  paper towels and tear the edges and lay them on top of the wing for a pattern to get a feathered paint edge, painting over the old green and blending in the tan. I am sprucing up an old Sterling Hellcat and giving it some new life. Brodak dope and decals. Enjoy your project. Richard
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Steve Maines

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 05:46:52 AM »
Hello Steve, the Goldberg P-40 is one of my favorites. You could repaint with Brodak gray underneath and olive drab on top. Use a Prevail spray unit to spray a mix with reducer and dope. Get some  paper towels and tear the edges and lay them on top of the wing for a pattern to get a feathered paint edge, painting over the old green and blending in the tan. I am sprucing up an old Sterling Hellcat and giving it some new life. Brodak dope and decals. Enjoy your project. Richard

Greathobbies here has some Brodak dope, but it seems I will need to order the colours I need as they have very limited stock. I don't have the ability to spray, so will just use a brush as the original owner of the P-40 did when he applied the original paint. I'll see what I can find re: decals to suit. Thanks

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 06:50:00 AM »
Steve,
One option for inexpensive spray is the Preval System about $6 at Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US) or others. This is a self contained unit that has a power head and paint jar (can get additional jars) that allow you to use any paint you want and thin it as you like (dope at ~55/45 thinner/dope works good), once done toss the power head. You can get just the power head so you can keep the left over paint in the jar (they supply a top for the jar in the package) get a new power head and good to go. One thing that is very important with this system is to strain the paint. I use a small funnel with a gauze pad in it to poor the paint through into the jar. Keep the little screen end on the pickup tube also. This avoids clogs and spits. I have used this for base coats and clear, much better for me than the whole compressor/spray gun deal (I hate cleaning spray guns).

Best,    DennisT

Offline Steve Maines

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 04:02:37 PM »
Steve,
One option for inexpensive spray is the Preval System about $6 at Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US) or others. This is a self contained unit that has a power head and paint jar (can get additional jars) that allow you to use any paint you want and thin it as you like (dope at ~55/45 thinner/dope works good), once done toss the power head. You can get just the power head so you can keep the left over paint in the jar (they supply a top for the jar in the package) get a new power head and good to go. One thing that is very important with this system is to strain the paint. I use a small funnel with a gauze pad in it to poor the paint through into the jar. Keep the little screen end on the pickup tube also. This avoids clogs and spits. I have used this for base coats and clear, much better for me than the whole compressor/spray gun deal (I hate cleaning spray guns).

Best,    DennisT

Home Depot here in Canada doesn't carry those Preval spray systems. Looks great and sure wish they had them, as I'd spray my model more often for sure. The cleanup is always a PITA and not my most favourite task. LOL

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 08:21:10 AM »
Steve,
The Preval System is available from many outlets. I googled Preval System in Canada and found Painters Place (https://www.paintersplace.ca/products/preval-spray-system). We have them in art supply stores, big box stores, paint stores should be able to find them. You can buy multi packs online if you are located away from large urban areas. Just google it and you will find lots of options Spruce Aircraft being one (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/prevalspraygun.php), Amazon being another (https://www.amazon.com/Preval-267-Spray-Gun-6-PACK/dp/B00TOY65UC).

Best,   DennisT

Offline Steve Maines

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 05:35:15 AM »
Steve,
The Preval System is available from many outlets. I googled Preval System in Canada and found Painters Place (https://www.paintersplace.ca/products/preval-spray-system). We have them in art supply stores, big box stores, paint stores should be able to find them. You can buy multi packs online if you are located away from large urban areas. Just google it and you will find lots of options Spruce Aircraft being one (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/prevalspraygun.php), Amazon being another (https://www.amazon.com/Preval-267-Spray-Gun-6-PACK/dp/B00TOY65UC).

Best,   DennisT

Dennis - thanks for this and I found them on Amazon.ca

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here