News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Orange peel  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Orange peel
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »
Absolutely everything I paint comes out full of orange peel. Doesn't matter if it's dope, Rustoleum, Lustrecoat, or automotive clear. I've always been able to salvage the paint job with elbow grease but it sure would be nice to lay down some paint once and a while that was fairly smooth once dry. I just did the auto clear on the Playboy and the only parts that don't need to be sanded out are the places that the paint is so thick it almost ran. What is usually the cause? It's my guess that the material is drying out before it gets the chance to flow, but I really don't know for sure.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Orange peel
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Clint,

It sounds like you're spraying the stuff too thick and it doesn't have time to flow out.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:47:38 PM »
Clint,

I've run into this with auto clear. It's one of the reasons I said that if you shoot it at less than about 65-70 degrees, that it's a good idea to mix it 2-1-1 being 2 parts paint, 1 part catalyst and 1 part urethane reducer. A bit more reducer the closer it gets to 50. The stuff flows really well when shot at 70-85 degrees, but when you are in the 50-70 degree range, it gets testy and needs to be thinned.

Don't worry overly. Just break out the 800 grit wet or dry and a bit of water with a few drops of dish soap and start sanding. Be careful because if you go through, it shows. But it's not too hard; just tedious. Then up to 1500-2000 grit then the polishing compound. You can get a pretty lustrous finish doing this.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:16:48 PM »
Spray distance, you might be holding the gun too far from the surface. I used to do that. Retarder can help orange peel. Test pattern. test pattern. You know. How hot is your painting room? For a while everything I painted had orange peel. My paint room is near the roof of my house, often painting during the summer. Guess what. Figuring that out took a couple of years. I have never been able to spray Brodak dope without a splash or two of retarder, same with Sig. Adding extra thinner makes it worse, causing the paint to dry faster. Painting with the temperature on the chilly side usually helps the paint level out.  These days, if I paint in the summer, I turn the air conditioner on high for an hour. Go into the room, open my vent windows, turn on the vent fans, mix paint and spray. Usually everything stays chilled long enough so that the paint goes on o.k. The weather-- humidity, barometric pressure(?), temperature (of course) all effect the flow of lacquer (dope) and perhaps other paints (haven't used them much). So, I don't take a given paint mix for granted. Test pattern (that again) when using paint mixed up the day or week before. Don't be surprised if the neat flowing mix of one day doesn't work the next. Then there are the subtle techniques that are oh so difficult to describe. Such as fogging a first coat followed by a wet coat soon after. I remember asking an experience spray painter about putting on a first coat, how many passes back and forth etc. The poor follow started yelling and screaming at me. Made me think the fog of spray paint resembles the fog of war.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »
Ah-h-h what the heck. If it's good enough for Rolls Royce, it's good enough. I think every enameled Rolls had considerable orange peel. Doubtless, a mark of quality . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 07:41:07 AM »
 #^ IT's too thick, Add small amounts of thinner to the cup and test spray on the back of your thinner can. Spray lighter coats to avoid having a run. As Stated above, warmer is better but, we dont want to always wait until July to paint!
Good Luck, Terry

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:39:35 AM »
I never have orange peel with a brush. LL~
Jim Kraft

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:06:03 AM »
I never have orange peel with a brush. LL~

If anyone has seen one of Jim's airplanes you would not believe he only uses a brush... Hey Jim why don't you start another thread and explain your process... What kind of dope, how much thinner... you know all the good details.. I think this would be great even for us that spray as we do some touch up with a brush.. At least I do...

Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here