News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:35:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oops! It splattered! Maybe not!  (Read 550 times)

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
Oops! It splattered! Maybe not!
« on: April 14, 2011, 04:34:56 PM »
"I was spraying the "final" coat of blue trim on my new Trophy Trainer today and ran out of paint in the gun. That caused a few splatters in the finish. If I wet sand the "bumps" down with a fine grit sandpaper will it still have a shine when I shoot the clear coat?"

Well I sanded the "splatter" down, but now I don't think it was splatter. It seems more like the dope bubbled from underneath causing . . . well, bubbles.

After sanding, I reshot only to have the same thing happen  HB~> HB~> HB~> Is it possible that out in the sun, heat is building up pressure in the heavely masked off wing and pushing through tiny holes in the balsa and causing the bubbles?? I'll resand tomorrow, and carry the plane outside only long enought to spray. I'll also take the masking tape off of the adjustable leadouts and see if breathing helps.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:26:50 PM by Brian Massey »
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Oops! It splattered!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
It should.  If I haven't completely forgotten my childhood spent hanging around my dad's paint shop, for a really nice finish you 'color sand' the final color coats before applying clear at any rate.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
The answer is, it depends. I assume this is just blue. Not metallic, pearl, candy or some other custom custom mix. yes? If so, then yes, depending on how thick the paint is. If it's thin, the worst that will happen is you will sand through the paint and have to go down to the paint shop, get more paint and reshoot the area. Certainly worth the effort
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
Tim and Randy; thanks for the input  y1. Yes, this is simple Insignia Blue from Randolphs. So it sounds like a lite wet sand to remove the splatters and I should be fine . . . at least as "fine" as I can be  n~ n~.

Is 1000 grit fine enough? I'll be in town tomorrow to fly (weather permitting) so a stop at Lowes for finer grit can be done.

Thanks again!

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:29:52 AM »
Brian,
unless I missed it, you didnt specify what kind of paint you are spraying.
if it is basecoat auto paint, you will most likely want to spray another light coat of base. sanding base and then clearing it can lead to some unsightly scratchs as the base doesnt sand cleanly. 1000 grit would likely clog rapidly and would most likely cause "scuffing" streaks in the base that will show when you clear it. You would most likely need to sand it lightly with 500 or 600 paper and even then I would want to respray it.
If its dope,, sanding with 600 wet then clearing would likely work fine.IMHO The clear dope you put over it will to some extent reflow the color as you lay it on and the scratches will disappear. or so has been my experience.
In simple terms, like Randy said, sand it with the expectation you can clear and be done, but keep in mind you may have to respray,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »
Hi Mark; Yes, I should have stated in my original post that I'm using Randolph's dope; Insignia Blue. I'll try very lite sanding, just enough to remove the splatters and see what happens.

Any advantage of using Sig Supercoat as the final clear vs, Randolph's?

Thanks!

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
Hi Mark; Yes, I should have stated in my original post that I'm using Randolph's dope; Insignia Blue. I'll try very lite sanding, just enough to remove the splatters and see what happens.

Any advantage of using Sig Supercoat as the final clear vs, Randolph's?

Thanks!

Brian

HI Brian,

If you use Sig for the final clear, use LITE COAT Clear, not the Super Coat Clear.  Super Coat Clear is high shrink, Lite Coat is not.  It is what I use (until I can get Randolphs Non Tautening) due to it shrinking less.  I have never used Brodak's Clear so I cannot give a comparison.  But I would have to believe that Brodak's is higher shrink than Lite Coat, so I would be less prone to use it.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here