News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One source for SIG dope and for real bright silver.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:04:50 AM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: One source for SIG dope and for real bright silver.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:00:48 PM »
Link didn't work for me..........
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
Works now, Ty.  Thanks.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
Hi TY,

Good find on the Silver!  I have a quart of PPG lacquer that is Mercedes "Silver" (but not "brilliant", it's from the early '90s. ;D )

What "type" of paint is your "new" Silver?  We can't get bulk lacquer here.  (other than Duplicolor Paint Shop, a synthetic lacquer, in prethinned quarts ~ $20 a quart)  The good old "automotive lacquers" are forbidden! LOL!!

Thanks,
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:54:26 PM »
I asked for the pigment less any binders. That's what I got, so it will mix with clear dope and thinners.   It is the Nason brand.  H^^

AHA!!!!!  Thanks, Ty.  I need to be doing more of that, myself.  I tend to forget that you can get it that way........ geeezzzzzzzzzzz....... is getting older just gonna keep getting harder?? LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »
Yea, that's pretty much what I do. Go into the paint place, give them a color number and ask that it be mixed without binder. I usually get a pint can (or sometimes a quart) that is anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 full. Fill the can up the rest of the way with clear dope and Bob's your uncle.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 11:44:32 PM »
Bob's our uncle, but OLD Bill is our friend.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I resemble that remark.............. LL~ LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »
Yea, that's pretty much what I do. Go into the paint place, give them a color number and ask that it be mixed without binder. I usually get a pint can (or sometimes a quart) that is anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 full. Fill the can up the rest of the way with clear dope and Bob's your uncle.

R-R-Really? I am familiar with having automotive paint mixed from automotive parts stores like NAPA etc, I've done it many times but only for it's normal intended use.

So let me get this straight, you can have automotive paint mixed, just tell them without any binders, and then mix what they give you with clear dope and use it just like you would normally always use your dope? Would this be true for any Dupont or PPG then?

And who's Bob? ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »
R-R-Really? I am familiar with having automotive paint mixed from automotive parts stores like NAPA etc, I've done it many times but only for it's normal intended use.

So let me get this straight, you can have automotive paint mixed, just tell them without any binders, and then mix what they give you with clear dope and use it just like you would normally always use your dope? Would this be true for any Dupont or PPG then?

And who's Bob? ;D

Wayne, that is my understanding.  Randy did say that some particular "type" of automotive paint (don't remember which) contains a substance that is not compatible with dope.  I believe any of the "normal" automotive paints can be done, though.  I will try single stage urethane, myself, next time, since I seem to remember it being the cheapest I can get,  overall! LOL!!!!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
I have gone to a local Dupont paint dealer and twice, only twice , have asked for the "tint" with no binder. First time is was for the 2007 Chrysler red called "Torrid Red" and it is RED. Love it  and added Brodak clear and thinner and from a quart can I have about a gallon of the color and it has been applied to nine different planes. Not a problem, except it won't come out if skin very easily.  LL~

The second time, one week ago, I got some Mercedes Silver as suggested by an email from Windy Urtnowski, when I found Brodak no longer carred B-25 silver, which is a very bright silver. Well, I got a quart, did the same as to the red, and it is a very bright silver. So far it has been applied to three stunters. Only problem is I used a tad too much retarder due to the cold and it is barely tacky two days later, but it is 37 in the garage.  It may well have been too cold when I applied the dope,  even though I did get the place up 58 degrees and heated the dope as well, but trying to get one plane in particular ready for KOI, which I now may not attend.   Ah, well.  D>K

Thanks, Ty.  Do you know if they are using acrylic enamel, basecost, single stage urethane alkyld enamel or.... ?  I ask, only because each are different "prices".  And I guess they are charging you for the "paint" even though is isn't "complete".  The same "color" in different paints (lacquer versus enamel versus urethanes, etc) can be as much a 100% or more in price difference.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
Thanks, Ty!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »
HI Bill. I have no idea. I just asked for the type silver for Mercedes for the late 1990's and took what he gave me. I have mixed with clear dope. Now I will go ask.  It never occured to me it might be anything other than the base tint which should mix with any carrier/binder.  Usually silver is just aluminum powder, but one never knows without checking. I will do this Monday.  D>K

This would be good stuff to know, I'd appreciate the info too Ty. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »
Ty,

I get paint mixed all the time at the local auto paint store. The only thing you have to be careful of is if you are using a pearl or metallic paint, you have to ask if it uses a liquid additive for the pearl (or metallic or whatever). If it's liquid, it's probably in a urethane carrier. I just have the guy substitute a dry form of pearl or metal flake or whatever. He will complain that if he does that it will not be EXACTLY the same color. I will say that fine. Then get home and mix in my own binder (dope). So far, no problems with this method, though I've had some unpleasant experiences that taught me this.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
Ty,

I get paint mixed all the time at the local auto paint store. The only thing you have to be careful of is if you are using a pearl or metallic paint, you have to ask if it uses a liquid additive for the pearl (or metallic or whatever). If it's liquid, it's probably in a urethane carrier. I just have the guy substitute a dry form of pearl or metal flake or whatever. He will complain that if he does that it will not be EXACTLY the same color. I will say that fine. Then get home and mix in my own binder (dope). So far, no problems with this method, though I've had some unpleasant experiences that taught me this.

Randy,

So you just take what they give you and mix it with clear dope then, right? What kind of ratio do you go with between the clear and your "color"?

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
Finally got back to the paint store toay.  Seems he forgot to tell me it was ENAMEL. Well I got the hardener for it. 1 to 8 ratio.  Still if even only tint, this particular stuff needs a hardener. Good thing enamel will go over laquer/butyrate dopes.
Now I can go out  to the garage when it gets warm enough and 0000 all the surfaces on all three, then one of them I'll HVLP the "new" silver and see what I get, a mess or eureka.  D>K

All three need a good touch up sanding as it is.  I need the exercise  LL~ LL~ LL~

HI Ty,

Since it is just the toners/pigments, did you do a 1oz-2oz test to see if it would mix with the clear dope for a carrier?  As you know, it would tell you right now if it doesn't "mix".

Randy, and especially Mark, know more about all this pigment/toner stuff, but it is quite possible that the toners can be used with the clear dope regardless if th e"original" paint was *supposed to be* enamel.  I don't have a clue as to whether or not the toners are different for lacquer versus enamel, but all I remember seeing at the paint shop was one bench with the toner "carousel" and they mixed all the different paints there.

I would like for randy or Mark to chime in and tell us if the "toners/pigments" are universal for the different paints.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »
HI Ty,

I was going on what the carrier is.  The toners mix into any carrier is what I am getting at.  If the carrier is dope then the "enamel" doesn't matter since the enamel "carrier" was not put into your paint.  If you only got the "toner/pigment" with no carrier added, originally.

Automotive paints ca throw a monkey wrench into the enamel/dope/nitrate/etc., layering.  Especially since automotive acrylic enamel doesn't fit into the "Enamel" category like the old cans we used to get from the hardware to paint furniture, etc. LL~

Just thinking out loud and Mark ain't helping!  He's involved in painting on a daily basis sorta and knows more about the formulations than I do.  Of course he won't mix products like this poor ol' broke redneck has always had to....... LL~ LL~ LL~   (funny what you find out when you ain't got the money to use just one thing all the way through)

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
I was back out in the garage yesterday and did a lot of 0000 steel wool paint removing and  used some acetone. The funny part is, parts of the silver were dry and hard to the touch, while other parts were still tacky enough to almost leave finger prints. I am at a loss, but will remove all the silver and do the regular silver where needed. I may even change the entire paint scheme.  Live and learn.  D>K

Hi Ty,

See my post on "toners/pigments". ;D  Mark and Randy had "BETTER" come through for us..... the RNMM can have long reaching arms. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here