News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nothing like a no-dope finish  (Read 1768 times)

Offline jjorgensen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Nothing like a no-dope finish
« on: March 19, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »
This is my latest experiment ready for trim colors.  I wanted to be able to work in my basement over the winter months and decided to try what I have been using to cover free flight rubber models.  Floor polish.  The fusalage was done with minwax and medium silkspan.  The wings were covered with medium silkspan and a  75% mixture of floor polish and water.  This combo made for the easiest covering job I have done with silkspan.  Paint the bare wood first with a 100% floor polish.  Then use a foam brush and wet the silkspan with the 75% mixture and apply wet, pulling out any wrinkles.  After it dries put on a couple of 75% mixture coats.  I then sprayed the whole plane with Rustoleum primer.  After sanding I tried to put on a color coat and was disappointed that it would not cover.  It was not compatable with the floor polish.  My solution was to put a light coat of spray minwax over everything to seal it.  After that the rustoleum covered fine and this is the result so far.  The silkspan is still pliable, not brittle like it was on my last experiment using nitrate covered by rustoleum (without buterate).  We will see how it does throught the flying season.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Nothing like a no-dope finish
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
OK, So how about a closeup of the products so we can see what they are?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:49:48 PM »
Randy,

Looks like Minwax and Rustoleum to me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »
I'm kind of confused by the use of floor polish ? Does floor polish dry ? or remain kind of waxey / oiley ?

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 06:32:30 AM »
The floor polish is called future and it does have a slight wax component which is probably why I couldn't use the rustoleum right over it.  The clear minwax poly does cover it and seal it however so I could then go over the poly with the rustoleum.  I'll post a closeup of the products tonight. 
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:25:35 PM »
Plastic model guys use Future for a clearcoat on their cars and stuff, its actually more of an Acrylic than a wax.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »
Here's a better picture of the products used
Jim Jorgensen

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 06:18:40 AM »
Plastic model guys use Future for a clearcoat on their cars and stuff, its actually more of an Acrylic than a wax.

I build plastic models, and yet when I paint them, I either paint them with enamel, or like my 1932 Ford Deuce that took best in show at a model car contest at a car show, was sprayed with acylic laquer and rubbed it out, and looks very good.

Matt Colan

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 01:49:44 AM »
Ok,time to pick more ideas here. So the futura polish  is brushed on and the mini wax is a can spray? S  I could do this with out needing a spray gun ? An special areas that your worked over to help make the plane fuel proof ?

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »
No spray gun is necessary for this.  Brush on the floor polish, after it dries you can either use the spray can minwax to lay on a thin coat or you can use use thinned minwax out of the can.  I use a 50/50 water to minwax mixture.  That seals the floor polish and then you can over it with rustoleum.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »
Do you cover the whole plan with silkspan ? I have a bottle of floor polish and acid brished 3 coats on a test piece of bare balsa. 1 side left alone the other side sanded with 500 grit sandpaper. I'm waiting for it to dry and see how it looks.

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:44:55 AM »
I do cover the whole plane with silkspan although I cover the fusalage and flaps using minwax out of the can.  I don't use the minwax on the wings and stab because it dries too fast for the silkspan to shrink tight on the open bays.  That is primarily why I use the floor wax on anything with open bays.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »
Jim, do you have any finished photos, and have you flown it enough to see how it holds up?
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here