News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:54:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Note on mixing colors  (Read 582 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Note on mixing colors
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »
A friend of mind asked an interesting question; If I start out with 8oz of clear, how much toner should I add to get color? 

I got to thinking about this. I'm sure Mark Scarborough will chime in, but here what I told him:

Well, unfortunately, the answer is, it depends. Different mixes (colors) need different amounts of binder (clear). The way I usually do it is to go to the paint shop and have them mix up a pint of color as if they were mixing it up normally, just leave the binder out. What I get is a partially full pint can with toner in it. I finish filling the can with clear dope and shake it up. What I get is a can of colored dope.

I have also gotten full pint cans of toner. Usually primary colors, but occasionally not. For instance, I have a full pint of GM Atlantic Blue (a sort of metallic blue-gray) that I had planned to use for some project or another. I don't know what the mix ratio for this stuff should be. The rule of thumb is, mix in the toner until the paint is solidly opaque (if using opaque colors - different deal if you are mixing transparents like candy colors). Usually, reds and yellows need a lot of toner as does white. Blues, greens and of course black not so much. I've been able to get away with as little a 15% toner when mixing black; blues and greens are usually in the 15-40% range. Reds, yellows and whites are usually in the 50-80% range. More binder is better for adhesion, but may take more coats to cover. If you use a lot of toner in a particular mix, which happens sometimes with white particularly, it's a good idea to seal the color down with a coat of thin clear. Maybe 80% thinned. This penetrates to the substrate and can lock the color down. This is also true with silver or gold since they are usually 80% or more toner. Toner is lighter than binder (it's true, I've weighed them) so it's a judgment call. More toner is less coats, but you have to be careful due to adhesion issues.

Just thought others might find this interesting.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here