News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:10:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New and Different  (Read 18688 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
New and Different
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »
Well, my camera is acting up. I imagine it just needs new batteries. So here's the only pic that came out.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
Re: New and Different
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »
That's down right awesome Randy. I can't wait to see the rest of the plane. Fantastic as usual!!!!!
Keith Bryant

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:19:03 PM »
WHAT! ARE YOU KIDDING ME,,  you are such a tease,, sheesh,, one stinkin wing, thats all we get to see. Man we been waiting for what a month now,, and all we get is one wing,, a pretty one to be sure,, but, I mean really,, get off your but drive to the store and get some batteries man,, you got people waiting

Looks good buddy, dare I ask how the weight is looking?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 10:23:35 PM »
Mark,

I'll get some more batteries tomorrow. There are other pictures, but they were blurry. According to the manual (on the camera), the image stabilizer takes a lot if juice and it's the first thing to puke when the batteries are getting low. I'll post this one more. Not a great picture and it's kinda weird on the color balance, but what the heck.

Just have the inklines to finish and I can shoot clear.

I'm projecting weight to be about 55oz. Not too bad for 640 square inches, I guess.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »
Holy cow! I bow to the master masker... After gaining some recent experience with masking a much, MUCH simpler scheme, I can truly appreciate what I'm looking at now. My lower back hurts just looking at it!  n~ (though Byron Barkers paint stand does make it a lot less painful than before)

Can't wait to see the final buffed out centerfold shots! Looking great Randy.
EricV

kvarley

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:27:14 AM »
BEAU___TEE___FULL  '''     Great colour combo , and artistic layout .  Your talent is showing   Keith Varley

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:46:09 AM »
Thanks, Guys.

As Eric noted in his thread about his new ship, it seems all I can see are the errors, bad spots and things I should have done better. I suppose it keeps you humble.

With luck, it will warm up here today and I can finish up the inklines and shoot the clear. We'll see.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 08:45:53 PM »
WOW, Really nice Randy ! ! ! ! CLP**
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 06:25:32 AM »
DANG!!!!!!!!!!! A new challenge.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:49:51 AM »
Randy,

Well, I again learned something with this plane. I already new that in order to touch up metallics, you just have to reshoot the area with a gun (or airbrush). Hand touch ups are out. With this plane I learned that it's no possible to touch up candy colors at all. Period. They are either right or you will have to sand down and do it again. Consequently, I don't think I'll use them again.

The bad part is, I keep thinking I'm done then think, well, let's just do this or that and that's another night messing with it. Sigh... It needs to be done.

It will be a nice 5 foot finish. Better, I suppose, than the last one that was a 10 foot finish. Still batting a couple classes under guys like Gene Martine and Phil Granderson, but I'm working on it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:27:12 AM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
DANDY-RANDY!!! SHAME SHAME ON YOU!!!! na# na# na#
After "POPPIN MY DEMENTED EYE BALLS BACK INTO MY HEAD THIS MORN!!" I would bet my britches....that after seeing such artistic work on such a beautiful new creation such as yours....
that every stunt grunter who in the past...has gleaned a spot on the  coveted appearence point front line up---
SUDDENLY NOW FEELS A SUDDEN NEED TO DIG A BIG DEEP HOLE, AND BURY THEY  BEAUTIFUL OLDSTUNT JEWELS DEEP N' OUT OF SIGHT!

BECAUSE OUR RANDY...HAS RAISED THE BEAUTY BAR...A HOLE BUNCH OF NEW NOTCHES!

CONGRATS! U DURRRDY RATTY-RANDY!!!
SHAME- SHAME ON YOU!! LL~ LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »
Uh, thanks Donnie. I think.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Ty,

60 MPH, 4 feet off the pavement, inverted. Isn't that what you do with these things?

At least it won't disappear in the trees. I hope.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:35:03 PM »
See Ty, Bill is right after all. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in awhile. Sounds like me. I finally get my PA plane flying really well ... the weekend after the last contest of the season.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 11:00:35 PM »
Uh, thanks Donnie. I think.

H^^The Crown Jewel of PA, belongs to you on this one, Randy!
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »
 Hey, what happened to the simple paint scheme???  But, I guess in your eyes it is simple.  It is so gorgeous.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 12:44:58 PM »
Doc,

Yea, I heard the same thing from my wife. It's simpler to do than it looks. One of the fun things about using transparent colors is, you can shoot over various undercoats and the color on top changes. This is a neat idea. I'm thinking about shooting a plane white then using various colors of pearl in clear to add trim shapes then shooting the whole thing over with a candy topcoat. This could be interesting since it would change to all kinds of colors with a minimum of taping. Could be fun.

The next plane I'm working on already has the paint scheme laid out. Just 3 colors: a base color and two trim colors. All transparent. It will be a very simple paint scheme.

To quote Axel Foley: "Trust Me".  ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »
See Ty, Bill is right after all. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in awhile. Sounds like me. I finally get my PA plane flying really well ... the weekend after the last contest of the season.

Randy...Yeah, it's flying fine now, but what happens when the weather gets hot and the air thins? You just know it's not gonna be as good, right? At Salem, Bruce Hunt checked the Density Altitude with his schmantzy new gizmo and it said we were about 1,100 feet below sea level! Yep, it was colder than a well digger's behind, a 'bluebird day'...and classic high pressure cell. I expect the BP was about 31" of mercury. Makes lots of power and buku lift, too. Wish you'd been there... y1  FWIW, I've had all the same thoughts about my "PC" (Profile Centennial) "improvements"...but then it wasn't exactly hot in Centralia, either.  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »
Steve,

I wasn't thinking so much about flight trim as stability. I rebuilt the nose after it fractured at Centralia, worked out a new pipe setup and works better than the old one and finally fixed the wag in hard, outside turns. It doesn't vibrate now and is back to going where you point it with improved power.

I hope the new plane does as well.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 02:19:35 PM »
HI Randy,

That is an awesome combination of colors and scheme.  The execution is MUCH better than you give yourself credit for.

Candy panit is a bear!  An old friend of mine was a top custom car painter, 5 digit paint jobs.......  he would NOT do a local street driven car simply because a fender bender would necessitate a complete repaint!  No touch ups would ever look right.

Going to be back to putting a finish on a plane soon.  I am finally feeling like all the necessary things that I potponed during my career are finally being taken care of and I can focus on model building again.  We will see!

Great job!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 07:15:20 PM »
Randy,
I seem to remember you talking about the wag in the corners, you were goin to make a change in the adjustable leadouts or ??? is that what fixed it???
TIA...Greg
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
Hey Randy,

To paraphrase, "that aint rocket science its ART".  A MOST outstanding outcome - I thought you were finished about three colors ago, but now I gotta hunch you're going to gild the lily just a bit more before you are done...  aren't you?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 02:08:56 PM »
Greg,

Yea, I put in independently adjustable pieces that allows each leadout to be adjusted. That, in combination with the repairs to the nose seem to have fixed the problem.

Dennis,

A bit of black was it. Just finish inking it last night (mostly outlining stars and such). If the weather holds up, I'll shoot topcoat on today or tomorrow. I can think of a couple of things that probably would have been cool, but I'm sort of out of energy in working on this. We'll see.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:51:31 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »
Randy,
I hate having to wait till next year to see it in person, but thats the way it is,,
seeing as how this was a simple paint scheme,, I cant wait to see what happens if you decide to go for it?

EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:56 PM »
Mark,

na#
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 07:04:49 PM »
Randy you have set the Bar high with this one.

I will have to try hard with my new plane to be as flashy as this one. Great job wish I could see it in person.
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Thanks, Bob. I suppose I'm hyper critical. As I said above, all I see are the flaws and screw-ups. I have really got to quit trying new techniques every time and just go with stuff I know how to do. This will be OK, I think, but not the show piece it could have been. Sigh... At least it's light and straight.

I couldn't resist tonight and pulled it off the rack and weighed everything. If I can keep from adding too much weight with the topcoat, it will be near 50oz. Complete weight right now including tank, engine, spinner, etc. is 48.5oz. If I can keep the top coat to 2oz. (usual for me), it will come in at 50.5oz. on 640 square inches with a RO-Jett 65. Hope to shoot clear in the next day or so if I get some decent weather.

I guess we'll find out if there is such a thing as too light.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 12:27:17 AM »
Just a note. I managed to pick up a stomach bug and I doubt I'll be in the shop for the next couple of days. spending too much time in the head. Sheesh!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »
Just a note. I managed to pick up a stomach bug and I doubt I'll be in the shop for the next couple of days. spending too much time in the head. Sheesh!
Aw, Randy, just another pretty jet style stunter! I don't like it cause it ain't mine. I got battries in my camera! HB~> HB~>

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 10:25:19 PM »
Well, I managed to shake most of the bug (though my stomach is still a bit queasy). I finished the various issues with the base finish (some mess ups with the lettering <sort of fixed> and some other things) and shot clear topcoat on it today. Came out OK. At least it didn't orange peel. Fairly smooth sans a couple of bugs (why are there always bugs?). I'll start sanding it out and polishing it up tomorrow then start assembly. Should be done by mid-week or so. Maybe the end of the week.

Remember, no finish is ever completed; only abandoned. 
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 06:10:43 AM »
"Remember, no finish is ever completed; only abandoned."

I hear ya Randy!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 11:20:26 AM »
This one may be abandoned earlier than expected.I had a bit of a disaster last night. Sigh...

Apparently, another bat snuck into the shop. I would have thought they would be hibernating by now. I went to check on the plane last evening and, well, I'm not sure it's repairable short of complete refinish. I'll leave it a day or two then decide what to do. Only reason I know it was the bat was, he was dead by the door, pretty much covered in catalyzed polyurethane. all over his feet (the tracks of which can be seen in the upper surface of the wing).

I'd be crushed if it wasn't so darned silly. Reminds me of a Loony Toons cartoon. Sheesh!

I'll shoot some pics when I can stand to look at it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »
GOOD GADSLEEEE, RANDY!!!!!!
I HAVE HEARD OF BATS IN THE BELFREE' BUT NEVA IN THE PIT HANGA????? ~^ ~^

(Think of all this in perspective...Just perhaps, that little critter was not well...and decided to leave "his mark" on that beautiful new work of art of yours. For example....I had a friend who had his model wing autographed by the late Jim Walker...and although the pen that Jim signed it with....melted the top coat pretty badly, Tim charished that messed up wing panel, just simply for the memories.
Maybe that SICK-SIC' little critter knew he was about to "cross over into bat-poop heaven or hell...and wanted to be remembered. Maybe he was just ENVUS....since Bats are the most aerobatic and quick turning creatures on planet earth and wanted to christen this beautiful one of a kind piece of flying art?
My condolences...and just to say...." I have saved "a pill" from my last post hand surgery that will surely make all your pain, agony and troubles..."go away" at least for the good part of a day....n'allthat jazz. :-\ :'(
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
Randy,
crap, will you ever catch a break! I mean come on, talk about insult to injury,, at least the dastardly mammal met his demise in the carrying out of his duties? some justice ...
dude, that really really really sucks,, well let us know what it looks like when you venture back into the zone,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »
I glanced at it on the way out today. I suspect the only answer is going to be a can of Jasco stripper and a new finish. sigh... Nothings ever lost, I guess. I learned a lot.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »
Say it ain't so! You need to have a talk with Doug Moon about the little vermins... one killed his last plane in flight, then his newest plane one flew in the shop and crapped on it in base coat! You two need to come up with a bird stunt plane repellent!

Hope it looks better after you cool off. Maybe you can put a little dead bat cartoon or RIP tombstone next to the footprints and clear over the mess and call it done.
EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »
Eric,

Well, the little snot (I assume) must have dive bombed the thing. Didn't break the silkspan, but the feet didn't walk in it, it sort of smeared the undercoat around. It's a real mess. I suspect the only answer is going to be stripper and start over. Sigh... I imagine it will go up in rafters and I'll build my next project, then get back to it and start the process.

I plan to sand the topcoat over the damaged areas first and see just how deep the damage goes. It looks like it's right into the color coat, but you never really know till you sand something like this. Could just be refraction through the clear (me, wishful thinking).

I suppose it's just as well. I wasn't happy with the cowl fit after painting anyway (this is me justifying the need to refinish).

Man, sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 07:25:31 PM »
Randy..
Take this photo out and nail it to a tree...grab a shot gun and get even...
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »
This one may be abandoned earlier than expected.I had a bit of a disaster last night. Sigh...

Apparently, another bat snuck into the shop. I would have thought they would be hibernating by now. I went to check on the plane last evening and, well, I'm not sure it's repairable short of complete refinish. I'll leave it a day or two then decide what to do. Only reason I know it was the bat was, he was dead by the door, pretty much covered in catalyzed polyurethane. all over his feet (the tracks of which can be seen in the upper surface of the wing).

I'd be crushed if it wasn't so darned silly. Reminds me of a Loony Toons cartoon. Sheesh!

I'll shoot some pics when I can stand to look at it.

Man Randy, I'd be livid!!! But it does remind me of something that happened to me many moons ago. I was had just shot the last coat of candy blue on a motorcycle tank when the friggin' moth flys in and lands on it. It struggled and flapped its way across the tank finally falling off. I was so mad I locked up and went to find massive quantities of beer. The next moring I went out to start sanding and noticed as I walked past it the sunlight glanced across it and it looked like a butterfly flying across the tank, COOL!!! So I shot 7 coats of clear on it and rubbed it out. When asked by many admirer how I did it, I told them it was a secret process I was going to patent. Hope you can make something cool out of yours too.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »
Randy,

It sort of depends on if and how far the little bugger penetrated into the color undercoat. The polyurethane does soften it quite a bit. It's hard to tell looking at it. If the disturbance is all in the clear, then there's a slim chance I can sand it out and reshoot those areas. If it penetrated (likely based on how it looks), then it depends on if I can sand the area out and reshoot that area. If it's disturbed over the areas that have candy color on them, well, it's not really repairable (as those that have shot candy color, yourself included, know). If that's the case, then it's time for stripper and a new finish. I'll probably know tomorrow or Wednesday. It has to dry enough for me to be able to sand it. It was still a bit rubbery today.

Sigh... Ya know when you get to a point with a plane where you just want it to be done? I'm so there.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »
Randy...if you have to repaint it...for God's sake, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....paint it just like it is/was. I'm sure you'll want to do it completely different, but I (for one) want to see it just the way it was going to be, before the bat ran amok in your shop.  R%%%% Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »
Hi Steve,

Well, I'm still hopeful of saving it. I worked on it a bit tonight. The little buggers claw tips clearly went through in a couple of spots. May be salvageable. I'm going to keep messing with it a bit, It won't be right, but it may be sort of fixable. Have to see.

Or, I may see how it does as a free flight.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 08:23:53 PM »
Randy sorry to hear of your misfortune. You were so close. I'm sure you will get it fixed right.
I have to ask you though. Did you ever look up?? Was he hanging above the airplane waiting for Halloween when he was overcome with iso fumes! Kind of unbelievable, its like a campfire story or its the canary in the coal mine,. I guess you don't need a reminder to wear your mask!
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
Pete,

I've had bats in the a half dozen times and usually check, but I assumed (silly) that it was too late in the year. I've never seen one this time of year before. Could be that he was overcome with the iso-cynides and just fell, scrabbling over the plane nose and wing the flopping along the floor to the corner near the door (that's my best estimate). I'm still working on it.

Ty,

I think you snuck in and release the little snot into the shop.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »
After I spray on my auto clear I turn the plane upside down to cure. The bat would have messed up the bottem. Still bad but not as bad.

I get less bugs & dust on top.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2008, 02:39:12 PM »
Patrick,

This was wing tip up. He hit and sort of skidded down the wing. Oh joy!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2008, 11:49:52 AM »
I feel for ya man! It seems like you get a great plane going and then some strange thing happens. I like the paint layout so well I am going to use a little of the design variant on my V8. I am still plugging along  I hope the extra effort is going to be worth it. Still slated for mid 40tys. When I get the airframe done and I start to finish I will post it here. I will say this I have everything covered and 3 coats of dope on them. Still in the assembly stage and when its on its wheels I will post a picture.
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2008, 01:28:38 PM »
Robert,

I'm anxious to see it. I think you'll like a bit smaller plane. They just seem easier to handle, with enough power, when conditions get bad.

I'm at the decision point. I can definately salvage it. It won't be as pretty as it would have been, but not horrible either. I'm dreaming up ways to hide the little vandal's damage, but truth is, not that much got through the clear. Guess the underlying color was drier than I thought or the topcoat didn't soften it much, By any stretch, it should be much worse than it is. I'll decide tomorrow after I get a chance to do a bit of sanding and inspection whether it's stripper time. But at this point I have high hopes.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 10:11:46 PM »
OK, I've gone ahead and fixed it, more or less. It will never be as pretty as it was, buy it will be sort of presentable. I sort of patched over the areas the little monster screwed up. Man, metallic and candy is impossible to fix, really. I already had a few spot that I had the peeling candy color problem and so it wasn't going to be perfect anyway (should have shot some heavily thinned clear over the metallic before I shot the candy). Now, with the latest bat issues, it's far from a show piece. But it should be sort of OK. I'm rubbing it out right now. Another couple of sessions and it will be done.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »
Randy..
Take this photo out and nail it to a tree...grab a shot gun and get even...
That looks like my wife on a bad day. mw~ mw~ mw~ mw~ HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here