News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:44:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help selecting a spray gun  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Jason Greer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Need help selecting a spray gun
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:04:28 AM »
Guys,

In the past I've monokoted all of my models except one that I brush painted.  My goal is to get away from monokote and start painting my future models.  I will be using Brodak dope.  I have been looking at automotive touch up guns, but dont know which to buy.  The following two guns look decent, but I am unsure if they will do the job:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47016
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=86

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Greer
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
Re: Need help selecting a spray gun
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:11:51 AM »
Jason,

I'm certainly no authority on spray painting or spray equipment but I can say that I do have two of the Central Pneumatic spray guns and, for my purposes which is painting small stuff, they work well.  I have a C.P. detail spray gun which has a 4 oz. paint cup and that seems to be about right for painting planes.  The model # is: 92126-OVGA.  It costs $9.99 from Harbor Freight.  I also have a model 91009-OVGA 20 oz. gun made by C.P. which costs $19.99.  It works well but I find that the volume of paint it produces is a bit too much for me (even when it's adjusted down) for painting planes.  It's real easy to create runs with this gun.  It would be good for painting larger stuff (like cars) but I prefer the smaller detail gun for the planes.

Just my observation and as I mentioned, I'm not any authority.  Perhaps someone who is can offer more qualified advice.  

Regards,

\Joe
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:46:21 PM by Joe Messinger »
Joe Messinger

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the response Joe!  I think I will give the 4 oz gun a try.  The price sure seems reasonable. 

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »
Jason,
just remember you get what you pay for,,
I have heard good things about these guns, however I do find it hard to convince myself that they are all that well made?
I suppose for 10$ its worth a shot though
FWIW, there are a lot of threads on here about spray guns , it may be worth some reading time?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
I hesitated on commenting here. But Mark and I have pretty well known opinions on this topic. Mark is right, you get what you pay for. I have a Central Pneumatics gun. It's a big one with a 20oz cup that I use for shooting primer. It works OK in this application. Primer is tough on guns and I didn't want to spend a lot for something that wouldn't last a long time due to the application.

You don't have to spend a ton on a decent gun. Something like a DeVilbiss FinishLine gun goes for around $60 on sale and is a pretty decent unit. Not top of the line or anything, but serviceable and it will last and be consistent in use. The trouble with the Harbor Freight guns is they are inconsistent. You might luck out and get one that has had a decent build, but like anything that is mass produced cheaply, it's a crap shoot. They work OK for what they are. It depends on how important the job the gun does is to you. It's a lot more work to get a good finish with this sort of gun. Really, what you get with a better gun is ease of use and consistency. I sprung for a good SATA gun and haven't ever regretted it. It's really easy to use and shoots the same every time I use it. And it will last. But spending a lot of one isn't really required, just that you get one that is well made and will be consistent in use.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:46 AM »
Randy, Mark,

Thanks for commenting.  I agree I am little skeptical of the low price guns.  I have been looking at the DeVilbiss guns and they look very nice.  The finishline 3 looks to be what i'm looking for and the price is reasonable.  Would you guys recommend having two guns with one dedicated to clear only?

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »
Jason,

Ah, the big question. I use the cheapo Harbor Freight gun to shoot primer (fillercoat), I have a modified DeVilbiss gun that I shoot color with and the Sata gun for clear. It's a matter of convenience. If you don't mind taking the gun apart and cleaning it thoroughly between using the color coats and the clear, then one gun is fine (though if you buy a good gun, don't shoot primer through it. It's hard on the gun over time). The nice thing about having two guns for painting is, you only have to do basic clean up on the color gun between changing colors. Nothing is quite so irritating as using a gun you just used for color with clear and having a glop of some color splat on the your nice finish or contaminate the clear.

So as I say, it's mostly a matter of convenience. You really have to clean the gun well when going from color to clear. And that can be pretty tedious.

Just a note. Usually when I'm done with a finish, I take all my guns down and thoroughly clean them using the little brushes and solvent. I lube the seals then put them away. A gun will last quite awhile when properly maintained.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »
Randy,
thanks for jumping in, I didnt have the time to write my usual response lol
Jason,
I RECOMEND having two guns, actually three, one for primer ( the harbor freight would be great here), one for color ( nothing is more annoying than having some hidden pearl of metallic come out in the clear coats over that nice black trim section) and a clear gun. Both the color and clear guns should be good solid units. I have had good luck with the Finex guns and think that they do a really solid job.
Like Randy, I own a Sata Minijet and would not trade it for the world. but, the price of admission is pretty steep for the average guy. However, when you put in mind that you have as many hours invested in prepping your new plane for finish, the cost of a GOOD gun is pretty cheap.
FWIW, I have one minijet, and I use it for clear and color. I just clean it thouroughly between. Thats because I absolutly trust the Sata to spray well and consistantly every time. Its worth it to me to spend the time cleaning. Of course I tend to use a lot of pearls , candies and metallics so having a precise pattern is paramount for a good job. I am to cheap right now to spring for another minijet, though its definetly in the wish list.
 SO in short, what Randy said.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »
>> SO in short, what Randy said.<<

Gee, it's usually me saying "what Mark said".   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 07:55:58 AM »
Jason,

Are you the same Jason Greer I met at the 2001 FF Nats? My tent blew away in the storm and you helped salvage the remains? You had a Cobra there I believe and were staying on for the CL Nats?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »
Randy,

Yes sir.  I'm the one!  How have you been doing?  I certainly remember that storm.  I seem to recall one tent ending up in the top of one of the trees! 

Are you still flying any free flight?  Our last flying site dried up several years back so I am 100% control line now.  I still have all of my free flight models, but no place to fly them. 

My wife and I have already made plans to attend the 2010 CL nats.  Are you planning on attending?

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »
Well Hey!!!

History repeats itself, well partly anyway. 2 years ago at the Nats my grandson and I were in the tent we replaced that one with and it got destroyed in a storm WITH US IN IT!!

Yup, I still fly FF, but I have to go to Muncie to do anything serious. I flew CL pretty solid until about 2 years ago when I seemed to burn out, I'd just moved up to Expert. Not that I don't still have the interest, but between that and other things like making a living and some back trouble, I just haven't been nearly active as I was. I hope yet to get back to the circle and pick it up again. I have a circle in my yard for practice and a few of the local guys come over and fly. I fly small sport rubber models out there too on dead calm evenings.

I'd like to say I'm coming to the 2010 Nats, but over the past few years plans seem to have a way of desolving right before my eyes. So let's just say I'd like to and if it works out, yes.

How's your Dad doing?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
Randy,

Those Muncie storms are really something.  They seem to blow up out of nowhere and things tend to go bad in a hurry. 

Hate to hear that your back is giving you trouble.  Dad has been fighting back troubles for the past few years.  After witnessing him being down with his back, I can certainly understand how that could affect your modeling enthusiasm.  I hope you get to feeling better. 

I sure hope you can attend the nats this year.  If you are able to attend will you be there for the FF or CL week?

Take care,
Jason

El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
Randy,

Those Muncie storms are really something.  They seem to blow up out of nowhere and things tend to go bad in a hurry. 

Hate to hear that your back is giving you trouble.  Dad has been fighting back troubles for the past few years.  After witnessing him being down with his back, I can certainly understand how that could affect your modeling enthusiasm.  I hope you get to feeling better. 

I sure hope you can attend the nats this year.  If you are able to attend will you be there for the FF or CL week?

Take care,
Jason

Both if they're back to back again. My grandson really likes FF but is getting into CL as well.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
I think either of the two guns in your post will work just fine ....."equally important" is a good water trap filter between compressor & gun to eliminate moisture buildup....and a regulator to set psi for each different gun you are
using. Spray practice wood to get proper spray pattern before doing model.

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »
To put it simply,how about an analogy here,,,
 you can fly the pattern with a flight streak,, and if your good you can score well, its been done, Or you can fly the pattern with an Impact, or Cardinal, or Trivial pursuit,,,
which one is more likely to HELP you fly the pattern effectively

Spray guns are just like that,, you can make a cheap one work sometimes, you can make a good one work all the time,
One other thing to think about, How many hours have you spent prepping that plane for paint,, how much is your time worth?  a cheap gun that doesnt work right ONE TIME, will cost all of that labor you lovingly invested in that airframe. Personally, I want to pick up my spray gun, and KNOW THAT ANY PROBLEM THAT ARISES IS NOT FROM MY EQUIPMENT! that reduces the number of possible problems from 1000 to 500,  HB~>
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »
To put it simply,how about an analogy here,,,
 you can fly the pattern with a flight streak,, and if your good you can score well, its been done, Or you can fly the pattern with an Impact, or Cardinal, or Trivial pursuit,,,
which one is more likely to HELP you fly the pattern effectively

Spray guns are just like that,, you can make a cheap one work sometimes, you can make a good one work all the time,
One other thing to think about, How many hours have you spent prepping that plane for paint,, how much is your time worth?  a cheap gun that doesnt work right ONE TIME, will cost all of that labor you lovingly invested in that airframe. Personally, I want to pick up my spray gun, and KNOW THAT ANY PROBLEM THAT ARISES IS NOT FROM MY EQUIPMENT! that reduces the number of possible problems from 1000 to 500,  HB~>

I sure have to agree with this Mark. I've used cheapos and done OK, but when you eliminate the variability of the gun, the painting sure gets easier.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »
>>I've used cheapos and done OK, but when you eliminate the variability of the gun, the painting sure gets easier.<<

Amen!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here