News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need advice for an air compressor.  (Read 744 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Need advice for an air compressor.
« on: March 20, 2010, 04:01:37 PM »

The family is thinking of going together to buy an air compressor for my brother in law as a birthday present.  He lives in an apartment, so size is a consideration.  His girlfriend has a house, but he's only there on weekends as she lives in a different town.  Anybody have a suggestion for a good one, it will be used primarily for painting planes.  Have looked at Sears and Lowes so far, not sure how good the ones from Harbor Freight are.  Any tips will be appreciated.

Also, how important are the cfm ratings for spraying with touch up guns (HVLP or standard)?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
Re: Need advice for an air compressor.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »
I've purchased many items from Harbor Freight, and for the money, think their stuff is pretty good. I'm currently using their small HVLP detail spray paint gun and am very happy with it. I got that on sale for 10 bucks to see how good it might be. After using it one time I added the bigger 20oz cup HVLP gun while it was on sale for 12 bucks. My guess is there small compressors are ok.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Eric Viglione

Re: Need advice for an air compressor.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
I've got a Harbor Freight compressor. Bought the $99 special at first, (2HP 8gallon, 5CFM) but it couldn't even keep up with air tools rated at 3.5CFM!!! Went back and traded up within a week to one of their $179 units with a higher constant CFM supply rating (3HP 10gallon 7.2CFM).

It is worth paying the difference, it's much smoother running & quieter. Quiet is relative of course, they are all loud to me compared to my old shop compressor which was a rotary screw compressor. It sounded about like a refrigerator, and could run an entire shop with 20people!

Do yourself a favor, run it for about an hour and change the oil. These "Cheap" compressors are a great deal for home use, but you do tend to get what you pay for. My first oil change was a little dark, and the oil is pretty clear now.

Hope that helps,

EricV

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:44:25 PM by Eric Viglione »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here