News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:41:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mylar choice overload  (Read 744 times)

Offline Angelo Smyth

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Mylar choice overload
« on: January 10, 2020, 10:05:16 AM »
OK. So I'm wanting to get away from doing monokote finishes and try the combination mylar / polyspan route. I've done a couple of searches about combination coverings (Mylar either over or under more traditional model coverings such as silkspan or polyspan) and it's advantages. There seems to be a load of information about how to apply the coverings, but I've not found what or where to get the Mylar.

A quick Amazon search turns-up a plethora of Mylar choices: 2mil, 6 mil, .003, .005, .007, .010 "Dura-Lar", iridescent, clear, gold, blue, metallic. Heck, even mylar bubble-wrap! (Having crashed more than a few planes last year, this may not be a bad idea  :!. Can you imagine flying a Ringmaster wrapped in bubble wrap  LL~.)

What exactly do you use and who sells this Mylar?

Thanks in advance.

-A.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Mylar choice overload
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:20:32 AM »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:22:40 PM »
Look for:    day_trader  on the Ebay.    Or search  Clear Super Flite Top Mylar Model Covering.    It has worked for me.  Some of of finished models are in the finish section. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
Forget the SLC in any quantity....Phil lost his supplier and is still searching for a similar replacement film

Drop down to Combat section and look for the Bob Mears posts for one tough and light method

The merits Larryy Renger schooled us to were Light poly/silk span...covered with a film instead of heavier dope made a composite covering stronge that eithr alone....many of us tried it....works the treat
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 12:58:55 PM »
Weights of Mylar are like any other material, it depends on thickness.   All I know is it is lighter than and easier than silk span an dope. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Angelo Smyth

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 05:29:57 AM »
Look for:    day_trader  on the Ebay.    Or search  Clear Super Flite Top Mylar Model Covering.    It has worked for me.  Some of of finished models are in the finish section. D>K

Awesome - thanks! I put some on order.
-A.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 06:59:22 AM »
How thick is SLC?

According to my fancy digital vernier caliper, .0010".

Ara

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 09:42:30 AM »
I recommended a indoor aircraft vendor to Phil that had 1.5 mil film ...Phil told me he saw it, but it was 2x as heavy as SLC ----so I assume SLC is 0.75 mil...no backing film and if you ever used it (SLC) probably easiest one I used for compound tight curves.....
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 03:28:20 PM »
I recommended a indoor aircraft vendor to Phil that had 1.5 mil film ...Phil told me he saw it, but it was 2x as heavy as SLC ----so I assume SLC is 0.75 mil...no backing film and if you ever used it (SLC) probably easiest one I used for compound tight curves.....

1.5 mil is *way* too much for indoor. I think on the heavier classes they used .25 mil. We used to use it for model rocket parachutes and flex-wing gliders - I would still really like to get *large* sheets of aluminized 1/4 mil, but I haven't been able to find it in wide rolls for many decades.

The lightest indoor films are some plastic they use for the dielectric in capacitors, which I think is lighter than any version of microfilm. They don't make condenser paper any more, "condenser" being an obsolete term for capacitor, which are no longer made with paper/oil dielectrics.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here