News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote Trim Sheets  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Monokote Trim Sheets
« on: February 16, 2013, 01:47:17 PM »
The other day I was about to order monokote largely for the purpose of using it as trim, using the Windex Method.  I found MonokoteTrim Sheets for under $3.00 a piece.  I don't have any yet.  Is this the same as monokote film or is it different? 

Does it have a sticky back?

Does it work nicely?

How is it installed?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Monokote Trim Sheets
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
Yes it has a sticky back.

I've always been afraid to use it, for fear that when it sticks it'll be stuck.

With the Windex method, you can slide things around to your heart's content, and even peel them off the next day and try over again.  They're not permanent until you've hit them with the Monocoat iron.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 05:36:32 PM »
The other day I was about to order monokote largely for the purpose of using it as trim, using the Windex Method.  I found MonokoteTrim Sheets for under $3.00 a piece.  I don't have any yet.  Is this the same as monokote film or is it different? 

Does it have a sticky back?

Does it work nicely?

How is it installed?

Allen,

I personally wouldn't waste my time with it. You would walk into any local Sign Shop and ask to purchase their vinyl scraps. They'll probably give them to you for free. you would be surprised as to what they toss.

I suggested this many times.

This link can give you some info.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=29199.0

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
The sticky back Monokote works fine. Just wet the surface you are going to put it on. I add a drop of dish soap to the water to keep the water from beading up on the surface then I dip the sticky Monokote in the water also this will give you alot of time to slide it around until your happy with it's location. Take a credit card and squeegee the excess water out, let it set for a day then sit back and enjoy your handiwork. I get free vinyl scraps from my graphics shop man
  Bob

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
Yes, sticky-back MonoKote trim sheets can be made to work. But the stuff is quite thick and presumably heavier than need be. These are both good reasons to use MonoKote film trim over the base-color film.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:29:23 PM »
I like the trim sheets, myself.  You can position them where you want them as described above, seal the edges with a trim iron, and be as creative as you want.  My biggest plus with them are the many unique colors available, and you don't have the expense of whole rolls on the stuff to have a really varied trim color scheme.
Be sure you don't miss the extra sealing at the leading edges of the trim, though, or they'll eventually try to peel back after a couple of years of goop exposure.  (Yah, yah, I hear you electric guys out there - no goop.) :P
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here