News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:18:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote Trim Seal Fluid  (Read 878 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Monokote Trim Seal Fluid
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
I have just seen a bottle of fluid from monokote that is "trim seal",  I believe.  Does it work well and does it also work to paste down other coats like Brodak, Tower Coat, Aerokote, etc.   on UltraCote?

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Monokote Trim Seal Fluid
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »
It works very well.  But, the secret is to use very little.  I apply a small amount to a rag and wipe the area where I intend to place the piece.  Just a thin film is all you need.  You cannot reposition the piece, so it must be placed accuratly the first time.  If there are trapped bubbles, wipe the trim piece working the bubbles to the edge.  It sets fast, so work quickly.  Other than MonoKote, I have only tried it on Ultracoat and it did not work.  I would practice on a scrap piece first.  You can iron the edges of the piece to ensure a good seal, but don't heat beyond about 1/8 inch into the area.

Paul

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »
FWIW., do a search for the "windex" method of applying monokote trim. Once you have placed the monokote trim with the windex method,, then use a small brush and lightly wet the edge of the trim piece with the trim seal fluid,,

It really has no application other than that ,, at least that I am aware of. It works with Monokote, I have not seen or heard of anyone making it work with any other film
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:34:57 AM »
Does trim seal fluid work for monokote on monokote only or monokote on other materials.  The bottle does say that it should work for placing other films also.   I haven't got a chance to try it out yet.

Any other experiences out there?

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »
It works but is more aggressive with Ultrakote, so go easy with it.  I did one model with Ultrakote wings and trimmed with Monokote.  Worked, but just like painting with dope, you are better off by sticking with one product.  Since Monokote changed their product, Ultrakote is a much better choice.
Mike

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
Larry Fernandez' upcoming symposium on using Monocoat should answer all questions about this.  RSVP to "Bob's your Uncle".  Also send a cc to Antone Kephart just to be sure.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »
The product being discussed is specific to the glue used on MonoKote film. If it were to prove effective with other films that would hardly be by design.

And to me it is a moot point. Whatever other issues there are with today's MonoKote (and there are some, to the point where I have switched to UltraKote) the stuff is still superb when used as the top layer of a film-on-film finish.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here