News:

• April 30, 2024, 02:12:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote Lifting?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Jerry Reider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Monokote Lifting?
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
I've found that on planes that have flat surfaces with Monokote on them that the Monokote seems to lift and get air bubbles as the plane ages.  I have a Brodak 38 Special that is about a year old and the Monokote is getting loose on the large flat surfaces like the horizontal stab, elevator and the back half of the fuselage.  I find that I can iron it back down and poke pin holes to release the air bubbles and then I take a moist cloth and go over the hot surface to press it down.  I used the Metallic Red, Monokote brand.  I'm wondering if using Balsarite or something else will make the Monokote stick longer.  I think that I've read that elsewhere.  My edges have all stayed on tight, it just seems to be the center areas that lift.  Maybe I should be stretching the film on the flat surfaes when I apply it like when I do the wings.
Jerry

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Monokote Lifting?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
Bout all I can tell you is the Monokote metalics suck. Even regular Monokote isn't what it once was. Most are switching to UltraCote, including me....

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »
Bout all I can tell you is the Monokote metalics suck. Even regular Monokote isn't what it once was. Most are switching to UltraCote, including me....

I'd have to agree with that.  I've found the UltraCote to be better.  The Metallic was hard to work with.  It's thicker and the wingtips especially, were a bear to get nice.  Overall the covering job got real nice but I struggled to get it that way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:28:25 AM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
I tried Ultracoat on my new Nobler, I hate it, I'm going back to silkspan and dope.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here