News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote Checkerboard Trim Sheets  (Read 829 times)

Offline 2easy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Monokote Checkerboard Trim Sheets
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »
I recently completed painting two solid wing planes with Rustoleum and added the checkerboard Monocote trim to the leading edges of the wings. The trim extends along the leading edge 2 inches from the fuselage to 1 inch from the wing tip. Do I need to seal the seams or do some other process to keep this trim from peeling off? Any advice from those experienced with this stuff on Rustoleum is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Monokote Checkerboard Trim Sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:42:11 AM »
The key to trimsheet is 2 things: Allow at least 48 hrs for the adhesive to set(important) before flying, and the Rustoleum has had several weeks to dry before your application of the trim. Unless your solid wing surfaces are baby butt smooth with no grain showing, fuel will seep under the trim. Clear wide packing tape works well wrapped ontop of your LE trim edge to cut down on such seepage. Normally I shoot clear polyurethane ontop of trimsheet to seal the edges on my doped models, so I dont do the tape trick on those. I dont know about poly on Rustoleum per sey, but poly will go on just about anything. (except ice cream  :X)  LL~ If you do choose to clear cote over trimsheet, remember to scuff it slightly with fine steel wool so the paint has something to bite into.
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here