News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:30:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minwax, Rustoleum, Crash -- Now What?  (Read 588 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Minwax, Rustoleum, Crash -- Now What?
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:42:28 PM »
So, based on advice I got here I primed the Waiex with Minwax Polycrylic (and Silkspan and lots of sealer), and painted it with Rustoleum.  It works great (but you want to give semi-gloss black Rustoleum a long time to dry).

Now that I've replaced the top 3/16" of the canopy*, and sanded off paint over about 8 inches of plane, do you have any suggestions for refinishing?  Will Polycrylic stick to Rustoleum?  If so, my way is clear -- I can just lap some sealer onto the existing paint, and blend everything in normally.  If no, then what to do?  Can I go "all Rustoleum" from the wood up?  Or what?

Thanks in advance.

* Flying tip: Plan your outside loops so that the bottom of the loop is above the ground.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Minwax, Rustoleum, Crash -- Now What?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:13:28 PM »
So, based on advice I got here I primed the Waiex with Minwax Polycrylic (and Silkspan and lots of sealer), and painted it with Rustoleum.

Who gave you that advice?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
I'd have to do a search.  Several folks recommended it.  It works great if you don't crash, and if I can repair it, then it'll work great even if you do.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
Pics of your repair would speak volumes here, but I'd imagine that you repair it the same way I do nitrate/Rustoleum finishes. Sand back all your Rustoleum color (and primer if you used any), sand down to the polycrylic. Reapply the silkspan and and sealer being careful NOT to overcoat any of the surrounding Rustoleum with the stuff and then reapply the color.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
 I'm redoing an Oriental that was done with Miniwax Water based Polycrylic and Rustoleum and so far this has bee a relatively painless operation. I have sanded down to the primer and where I have gone through I have touched up the paper with urethane with no adverse effects. It has all sanded down nicely and I just finished applying Rustoleum primer.I have not seen any adverse reaction so far and I'll wait till tomorrow to go further. I have noticed that you can recoat Rustoleum before the necessary time wait if you are sanding it down for a recoat. Apparently the problems arise from the hardened topcoat of the paint having a reaction to new paint. perhaps that would also explain the non reaction between these components in the repair. Another thing about repainting Rustoleum is that you must resand the surrounding  area that you are topcoating or you will have adhesion problems with the new paint.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »
Dennis, Clint -- all is clear to me.  Thanks.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here