News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:15:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minwax Polycrylic Sanding Sealer  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Minwax Polycrylic Sanding Sealer
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:52:25 PM »
I'm trying the Minwax/Rustoleum process for the first time, and I had to do something twice before I figured out it was a good deal.

Minwax is really a pain to sand.  It balls up into these long skinny cylinders that you have to keep brushing off the sand paper, and it's never quite smooth.

I had run into this on my test block, and made some sanding sealer by mixing Polycrylic with talcum powder (just like making sanding sealer with dope).  So I got to 'that' stage in this finishing job, and I got out the sanding sealer.  Boy oh boy, what a difference!  Polycrylic alone is the same pain to sand that it always was, but if you mix it about 1:1 with talcum powder it turns into stuff that sands just like lacquer primer.

What I don't know is how much I've affected adhesion -- I may have just made myself a plane that will suffer from the "Minivan Hood syndrome".  We'll see.

But it's nice to sand...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Terry Bolin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
Re: Minwax Polycrylic Sanding Sealer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »
Contact Allen Brickhaus for great info on this system. He has used it for years and has got it worked out... You can find his contact info in alot of the magazines or Stuka stunt I think... Good luck.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here