News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Let us spray ... but where?  (Read 898 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Let us spray ... but where?
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »
I would like to spray paint at home, but don't want to have my walls and floor gaily and randomly decorated with various colors over the years.  What do YOU guys do?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Let us spray ... but where?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
repaint the walls periodically,,,
 y1
actually you can make a "booth" by hanging clear plastic from shower curtain rods, or something like that, in a mini room put a filter on one side, and a fan sucking on the other,, be aware that the fan will be sucking paint vapors so some care is needed.
Personally, I paint in the shop, or in my garage where the air is dead calm, no movement,, and I dont care much about overspray,, I would NEVER spray in the house
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:55:01 PM »
I've seen lots of Windy's videos and he sprays in his back yard and lets the overspray go were it will.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »
Garage for me but outside is good too  (gotta be careful of blushing though)  ...I usually wet just the garage floor
(not the walls) to catch dust

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:47:37 AM »
I spray in my 2-car garage, which is also my workshop.  I have an old window fan (mounted on casters) which I roll into one of the 2 single garage door openings.  I close the door down onto the top of the fan, and I have a light-weight 1/4" ply panel which closes the opening to the side of the fan.  With the other garage door closed the fan is in the only open space.  The fan pulls air out of the garage.  I open either a pull down attic stair to supply air in from the attic, or open the door into house and a window nearest that door for supply air thru house.  Choice here is determined by temperature in attic, house, and outside.   I can somewhat control the air flow thru the shop by how much I open the door, window, or attic stair.  The model I am spraying is between me and the fan,  and the model is 3~4 feet from the fan,  such than the fan pulls spray fumes away from me and exhaust them out thru the garage door opening.  If I am using airbrush I dont need a mask and never even smell any fumes.  If using anything larger than an airbrush I use a mask, again I never smell any fumes.  Spraying the clear coats with full size gun puts the most amount of overspray into the air and when I spray that, in addition to the  mask I always wear long sleeve shirt and one of those cloth pull over head covers, even if its hot and it makes me sweat...  The fan has about a 3-foot diameter blade and I feel like it does a complete change of the air volume in the shop at least once every minute, probably more...
I managed to find a couple of old pictures that show the window fan in action..  Check out the holders I came up with for the flaps and elevator.  I use some plastic strips sized to fit into the hinge slots for the mounting of parts.  The jig holds the part at a 45° which is perfect for spraying the first side, then you flip it over to spray the other side without having to touch the part..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
>>I've seen lots of Windy's videos and he sprays in his back yard and lets the overspray go were it will.<<

His neighbors must love him.   ;D

I shoot colors in the shop generally (or outside if the weather is nice). Always shoot clearcoat outside. Catalyzed products are nasty. My closest neighbor is about 300 yards away (maybe more), so no need to irritate them (though I would mine irritating a couple of them).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
I never worry about the neighbors.  I spray outside the shop now with a fan blowing air towards the plane and me.  Also use a a double cartridge mask. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
I always wait for a calm day and spray outside, next to the garage door.
There is always the dust issue, but, if you are lucky- just dust and no bugs.
Dust will disappear with an application of rubbing compound.  Bugs?  Well,
why not just leave them for decoration?

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I spray outside too; and just hope the bugs don't find me. On my final coat of clear, they did. I'm going to build a 10x10 "booth" using plastic sheeting, and use a fan to move the air. I'll still do it outside, but should get better results.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
I've seen lots of Windy's videos and he sprays in his back yard and lets the overspray go were it will.

LL~ LL~Usually the over spray ends up yer nose....and then the added thrill of fly-nat-dandy' lions seed tassles that "like a magneto'" seem to attract every airborne nerd' to that beautiful shiney wet paint....even before the paint has time to "flash-off!" ~^ VD~
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here