News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Legacy naked  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Legacy naked
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:18 AM »
Hi guys,
Need a little input from all you Legacy experts. I have completed the frame work of my scratch build Legacy. I made some changes, I decided to build up the flaps, I didn't like the flaps that was on the print. I wasn't sure if the stab should be a sharp edge on round. I ended up with rounded edge. Looks better to me. Yes the wing leading edge is nice and round. Not sure if in the proper weight. The complete frame weighs out at 29 ounces, the wood, landing gear, wheels, all control systems. The engine I'm going to use is a Frank Bowman ST 51 using a tongue muffler. The engine weighs out at 14 ounces with muffler, tank, spinner, prop. I believe a good flying weight would be around the low sixties. At the moment the plane with complete engine set up weights out at 43 ounces. That should give me around 17 ounces to complete and this plane should be a good flier. I plan on using a dope finish. I would appreciate all you Legacy expert to chime in and let me know if I'm in the ball park. I really like the looks of this baby. Man does she have a lot of elevator area. Should I change any of the large areas??? Do I need to remove more weight before I cover???? The control system is all ball joint connectors and I have a even 45 degree angle in each direction. Using a four inch bellcrank. I would appreciate your input.

Thank You
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Legacy naked
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »
 Man does she have a lot of elevator area. Should I change any of the large areas???

Gary,

I wouldn't change any of the area on the stab (or anything else for that matter).  Allen knows his stuff, I have one close to finshed but don't remember the weights as I went (plus I used a foam wing from Christ).

James
AMA 491167

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »
In my humble opinion, unless Mr. Bowman (he deserves that respect) said to use a tongue muffler, I would use a
tube muffler from Randy Smith. A tube muffler seems (to me) to produce more power ... and the sound, quite honestly, is heavenly compared to a tongue muffler.   { I have 4 Tigre G.51's...2 from Mr. Bowman & 2 from Tom Lay ...to me, the run is superior using a tube muffler from Aero Products } 

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »
In my humble opinion, unless Mr. Bowman (he deserves that respect) said to use a tongue muffler, I would use a
tube muffler from Randy Smith. A tube muffler seems (to me) to produce more power ... and the sound, quite honestly, is heavenly compared to a tongue muffler.   { I have 4 Tigre G.51's...2 from Mr. Bowman & 2 from Tom Lay ...to me, the run is superior using a tube muffler from Aero Products } 

Geno
Hi Geno,

Thank you, I'll get one from Randy and give it a try. She does well on the tongue muffler but I agree I believe she'll do better on the tube type muffler.  I appreciate your input and how does the T&L 51 run compared to Frank's motor??? Not a fair question, cause I'm sure both run great. Tom uses the ring that Frank makes and for good reason, best ring on the market.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »
Gary, FWIW, i have several ST.51's from Tom Lay and he told me in a phone conversation, not to use a tongue muffler,to much heat build up, he suggested tube muffler. Ron.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
I have a stock ST 51 with the exception of a Bowman ring that won't run with a tube muffler. It will quit on the take-off roll. At least with a tongue muffler I can fly the airplane.. Keep threatning to send it to Tom or Randy for a rework but haven't got around to it.

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »
I ran a re-worked 51 for several years (normally with a tongue muffler with no problem), but did try an Adamising tube muffler.  We had to open the exhaust hole and it seemed to run fine (but made the plane a bit to nose heavy).

James
AMA 491167

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
I have a stock ST 51 with the exception of a Bowman ring that won't run with a tube muffler. It will quit on the take-off roll. At least with a tongue muffler I can fly the airplane.. Keep threatning to send it to Tom or Randy for a rework but haven't got around to it.
Hi,
The Tigre 51 I have was a chinese version. A piece of junk, spoke with Frank, he told me what to do or send it to him. I send it to him, he replaced the bearings, ring, straightened the crank, reshaped the cylinder. A complete different engine. Its a real sweet heart. I don't believe Frank rebuilds engine anymore but if ya ask him I'm sure he'll tell you what needs to be done. He told me its basically the same 51 Italy made, just wasn't made as well. Mine runs great on a tongue muffler???? I'm sure the tube muffler will work but the tongue muffler works well. I was just thinking might not get as much oil on the plane???
Gary
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:25:13 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
So, Gary...where's da nekkid pictures?

I agree that the PC will like the tube muffler more better than a tongue muffler...mellower sound. You'll want to add a "rubber ducky" on the Randy Aero CNC tube muffler, to help reduce the oil slick on your new Le Goosey.  %^

It was snowing when I left for work this AM, and continued all the way, until I dropped down the hill into Auburn. At noon, I went out to snooze in the truck...and it started hailing. It started hailing again, while I was on the way home. Fresno's got better weather, I know. Just don't rub it in...  @@^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
Gary...to answer your question fairly, Frank does an excellent job of installing his rings and bearings and his engines run very sweet with one flip starts....but I gotta say Tom's rebuilds are much more powerful with a whole lot more compression. Tom has the liner heat treated hardened and does not replace the bearings but polishes them like a jewler does and does some other internal mods that make his T&L's some of the best out there. Best to remember they are still Tigre motors (not PA's) but they do run very very well. (and he provides free shipping to all PAMPA members).

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »
Yeah I read all this stuff about engines, rings and runs.   No pictures of a naked Lagacy.  But, I guess you have all those fabulous wood to wood joints covered by now. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:22:20 PM »
Hi guys,

I haven't posted any pictures cause, this forum isn't "R" Rated. I'm just trying to clean up my act??? Ha Ha, just kidding, my camera needs a battery and I'm to cheap to buy one?? I still have a lot of sanding to do and more and more so I'm going to wait until I sand off a pound of balsa. The wood I used has a lot of flaws, probably why its light wood. The weather hasn't been the best (around sixty plus degrees) so I've wimped out about going outside to sand. Once about a time many years ago I tried to sand indoors cause Windy does it on his videos. Mama hasn't home but it didn't take her long to figure out what happened. Thank goodness I had the video to show, just told her I was following directions. I showed her on the tape that Windy has doing it, Well I don't sand indoors no more???? I don't have to worry Windy wouldn't come to my home anyway, so I'm safe???? Darn forum, read the forum where ya just have to use carbon tissue, did fine until I read ya have to use it. After the sanding along will come the carbon tissue. When I get her to that stage she should be covered up enough to where it wouldn't offend anyone, I hope. I appreciate all your input and the Legacy is a neat baby.

Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 08:44:10 AM »
Guess you didn't notice that Windy sands over a sanding table.  Has a fan to draw the air down thru the table top that is full of holes.  There is a filter to trap the dust.  Haven't got around to making/assembling my sanding table.  But, then 60 degrees is warm to me.  Have a thermometer in the shop now.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here