News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:33:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Latest on DIY decals  (Read 994 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Latest on DIY decals
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:41 PM »
OK, I find that the laser paper is not bulletproof.  I used two different types of copiers at Kinko's and both jammed up due to the paper sticking to the fuzing roller.  I have used the Xerox copiers at Staples successfully twice at different stores.  So far, so good.  I tried overcoating the material with Lusterkote matte clear, but got too enthusiastic.  It took the imager apart in a crazed pattern.  I have a new set ready, but will let it "dry" for a day, then do several light coats over a period of a day or two.

I am using Lusterkote because I do not intend to clearcoat over the installed decal.  It is going onto Coverlite covering with no paint applied, so must be fuelproof on its own.

More as it develops!  News at 11 (one day soon).
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Latest on DIY decals
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:17:40 AM »
I overcoated the decals very carefully (super light coats about 4 minutes apart).  Results were acceptable, but not perfect.  The image picked up a slight speckled look.  I am using flat, clear Lustercoat.  I didn't have any problem with Gloss clear Lustercoat on the inkjet paper.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Just to try it out, I put one of the Laser decals on a plane with no overcoat at all.  It went on really well and conformed to the surface beautifully.  I will try this on my next model and clearcoat the entire plane.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
The laser decals went onto Andy Borgogna's Humongous perfectly. They were overcoated with matte finish Lustrekote because he was putting them on untreated Litespan.  The texture match isn't perfect, but darn close.  He is a happy camper on this one, and I am stuck with doing his decals forever, I guess.   HB~>

Oh yeah, switching from his old cloth covering and paint on the model to Litespan saved 8 ounces!!!!

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here