News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Krylon vs Rust-o-leum, Sharp edge!  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Krylon vs Rust-o-leum, Sharp edge!
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:09:36 AM »
I've been using all aerosol can paints in finishing my most recent models. I used Krylon exclusivly on the Flite Streak and the P-40.

I had absolutely no issues with paint not sticking when I removed all masking including fine line blue tape.

So, Krylon paint in aerosol cans, did get the job done and done quite well.

Rust-o-leum. I have absolutely no experience with this Brand.

My interest is, anyone having issues with Rust-o-leum when the masking is removed, especially fine line tapes used for edges?

Does the paint stick?

I hate to change a winning game, but there's a color I like with Rust-o-leum that I cannot find with Krylon.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
Re: Krylon vs Rust-o-leum, Sharp edge!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
I've had good luck with Rusty paint with one exception. It really needs to cure. If not, the solvent in the 2nd coat will bubble the first coat. It applies well, seems to stick to what I put it on. (silk/nitrate dope) bare wood with primer etc.
k

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
Unless Krylon has changed it's formula it is not fuel resistant.

Dennis

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
Unless Krylon has changed it's formula it is not fuel resistant.

Dennis

Ken,

Thanks!

Dennis,

I apply clear over colors, so being fuel proof isn't an issue.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 03:23:14 PM »
Before I switched to Dupli-Color lacquer, I used Rustoleum a lot. Never had a problem using fine line tape, but if you don't let it cure for at least a week, it is still soft enough to leave an impression from the tape. The edge pulls clean and I never had a problem with paint lifting.  It takes forever to paint multiple colors, but I always had good results. I even had good results painting over plastic film if I lightly scuffed it and applied a fine coat of primer.

Paul

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
yah....what he said.
I used a minwax clear poly-u for my top coat. They sell a crystal clear (Rustoleum) but it's not fuel proof.

Rattle-can

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 03:43:48 PM »
For what I have happening with this model, it would be easier to spray the darker color first followed by white.

I should, and possibly will, do a test to see how white covers?

How does white cover?

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »
For what I have happening with this model, it would be easier to spray the darker color first followed by white.

I should, and possibly will, do a test to see how white covers?

How does white cover?

Charles

white is always poor coverage, its a function of the pigment not the particular paint product,, some whites may ,, MAY cover better,,
being a painter,as a painter you should know Charles that putting a light color over a dark color is always a crap shoot
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
as white goes, it covers pretty well

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
white is always poor coverage, its a function of the pigment not the particular paint product,, some whites may ,, MAY cover better,,
being a painter,as a painter you should know Charles that putting a light color over a dark color is always a crap shoot

Working with auto paints, you could dust a bit of white primer.

I have absolutely no experience with aerosol rust-o-leum.

My first experience with aerosol cans and using them to paint a model was the Flite Streak.

I was happy with the results. Aerosol cans, go figure.

Krylon doesn't offer the color.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »
Ken,

That's an interesting model.

Got other photos, closer shots?

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here