News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:02:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Krylon Fusion paints  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Krylon Fusion paints
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »
Has anyone tried the " Fusion" paints by Krylon. I considered using them over Econocote(camo for a combat plane).These paints are suppose to adhere to plastics. Also saw some latex sprays at a Hobby Lobby craft store. I'm sure none are fuelproof, so any clues on clear? I have some scrap 'cote and foam to test on.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Krylon Fusion paints
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:24:51 PM »
Has anyone tried the " Fusion" paints by Krylon. I considered using them over Econocote(camo for a combat plane).These paints are suppose to adhere to plastics. Also saw some latex sprays at a Hobby Lobby craft store. I'm sure none are fuelproof, so any clues on clear? I have some scrap 'cote and foam to test on.

Steve

YES...I have tried Krylon's FUSION paint...(painted the inside of the bell of my old beat up ROAD RAGE CORNET HORN.
 Musicians have been using this FUSION paint inside the bells of their trumpets to modify the harshness or brightness of the sound.
After about 3 years of playing this cornet...with constant twisting and changing mutes...PLUS ALL THAT SPIT. VALVE OIL, MOISTURE and fumes from my bottles of BUDLIGHT BREATH...that leaks out the bell-----THE FUSION PAINT LOOKS VIRTUALLY AS GOOD AS THE DAY IT WAS APPLIED?
Hummm? Is it FUEL PROOF???? GOOD QUESTION? LL~ H^^
Whether it is fuel proof or not...I DON'T KNOW...except I do know how nicely it  mellows and adds richness of sound coloring to that old axe that now sounds more like a Flugel horn than a cheapie cornet beater horn.

However...This paint seems to have considerable volumn and mass as it sprays from the can. I would bet the weight factor might raise some WEIGHT ISSUES for a larger sized stunt model.
However it hides and covers quickly and really sticks...with virtually not runs...etc.
I ALWAYS HEAT MY SPRAY CANS IN VERY HOT WATER....and shake the crap out of them just before use...ANYHOO? y1 H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »
Shultzie,

Looks like you should have painted the mutes, too.   ;D

Remind me to tell you of the time that I had a cheap, Selmer alto chromed.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 11:03:17 PM »
just dump some fuel inside the trumpet and see if it eats the paint  LL~

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »
just dump some fuel inside the trumpet and see if it eats the paint  LL~

LL~ LL~
On your suggestion....I went out into the garage...poured a little 10% into the bell....(hummm?) Waited for about 20minutes....Uhhh? Wiped off the residue and after a little 409 to remove the oily film...The paint looks pretty much the same as before.
Next experiment...I have a little vodka and one Bud light brew left, next trumpet play a long garage session...I will mix myself a BOILER-OILER drink...use that last bottle of Bud (FOR A CHASER!) pour little shot from what left into the bell...let it sit a while.
I'll give you a report later.... H^^ n~ :X 010! DK^
Don Shultz

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 03:01:48 PM »
lol I wasnt serious... some people  ::)

Glad it worked though.  I have some krylon flat black.  I wonder if I could paint my airplane black then do a coat of supercoat clear over it. 
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »
Thanks for the test Shultzie. On your other test you might pour your drink in the bell before you drink it. Less variables(backwash) that way.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »
Quote from: Jeffrey Olijar link=topic=13447.msg123263#msg1232 LL~ LL~ n~ :! :! :!63 date=1250629308
lol I wasnt serious... some people  ::)

Glad it worked though.  I have some krylon flat black.  I wonder if I could paint my airplane black then do a coat of supercoat clear over it.  
Sounds like a SOUND IDEA...especially if you are looking for that "OLD TIME PAINTING VINTAGE CRACKLE FINISH.
Plus all that gritty finish just might work as a  NEW CLPA TRIP STRIP CONCEPT!!! LL~ LL~ n~ :! :!

(Seriously....I wouldn't over spray that Krylon with just about anything...little lone SUPA'COAT DOPE!!! ~^
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here