Author Topic: Krylon  (Read 897 times)

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
Krylon
« on: November 04, 2023, 08:59:45 AM »
Opening up this can of worms again.  I am reading that current Krylon is not the same as Krylon of years ago.  Either way, my understanding is that I can spray Krylon over nitrate.
Then I am wondering if I need to spray some other product over Krylon for fuel proofing?  I would like to have a flat finish. 
Just glad to be here

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Krylon
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 10:39:15 AM »
Mr.David,
I use clear brushing wood lacquer in place of nitrate. It behaves the same, and I can get quarts from the local hardware store readily. Then I color/top coat for fuel-proofing.

Regarding Krylon...
This is one like "best engine oil" especially given that points in time of use make for differences in chemical content.
I think re-phrasing the question may sort out older "facts and folk-lore" and provide more current opinions/results.

Something like:
Who has used a recent Krylon, and from which of the Krylon lines did you purchase? Have you checked for fuel-proofing? Will you continue using it or was the experiment a disaster?

Thanks in advance.

Sideband...
I have a stash of older Pactra Aero-Gloss (which sprays over the lacquer just fine), but it is mildly affected by nitro as used in 1/2A. I don't let it bother me as my planes rarely fly around beyond a few seasons. I guess the "acquired all at once" stuff is the later not-so-fuelproof stuff of even earlier years.

Economy and ease of use are my driving requirements.
I think I'll be trying Rustoleum with a catalyzer next. This is because I have an antique vehicle that needs paint work. If the Rustoleum sprays on a model well and passes as fuelproof, then I'll try the same recipe for the car.
I expect I'll get the first two colors (packaged in the smallest cans possible), a thinner and catalyst. From there I can mix to desired hues. If this is a success, then I'll probably buy the primary colors, white and black. Then I'll learn to mix colors on demand by model.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Krylon
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 11:55:31 AM »
Dave,
Krylon use to be acrylic lacquer (somewhat fuel proof) a few years ago the change to acrylic enamel (heavier and not as fuel proof). It should go over the nitrate without a problem (do a small test piece just to be sure). You will need to do a clear fuel proof top coat like 2K Max anyway if for glow. If electric you can use dope and just do clear dope top coat to seal against dirt.

Best,    DennisT 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here