News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Klasskote over butyrate  (Read 1886 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Klasskote over butyrate
« on: March 13, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »
I did a little research of previous posts but didn't really find an answer. What about putting Klasskote clear over butyrate dope colors? Base coats are nitrate, topped with butyrate colors. I am thinking Klasskote clear for durability and nitro resistance. How well will it stick, and will it flex with the polyspan covering? Also, does anyone have first hand experience with Klasskote clear over Major Decals water transfer decals? Same question for butyrate clear over the decals in case the Klasskote is a no-go.

Thanks.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
Re: Klasskote over butyrate
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
Yes, I would also like to know if you can put klasskote clear over butyrate colors.  And will the clear tend to yellow ?  :-\
AMA 33676

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »
Dunno. But probably yes, given adequate drying time. It might even say so on the can, if you have some, or on the website, if you look for it. However, there is a Klasskote forum down in the Vendor's Section, and I would suggest posting this question there. If the Klasskote guy doesn't reply pretty quickly, send him a PM or Email.  y1 Steve

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?board=48.0
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »
No can do ! The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.  :o  This is what it says when I try to go there.  :'(
AMA 33676

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
No can do ! The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.  :o  This is what it says when I try to go there.  :'(

Dan,  You should be able to view everything in the Vendor's corner.  Maybe just go there and don't try using the link?  ???

I just went down to the Vendor's Corner and went into Klasscote.  Last topic or reply was June 2009.  There is a "moderator" listed, so maybe that will be the best avenue of contact?

EDIT:  I looked up Nate Dickerson's profile (you can, too, of course) and he hasn't been "active" since: Last Active:    January 04, 2007, 03:18:05 PM  Are they still in business??

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
I know they are still in business. Our shop just got an order from them last week. They have good service and seem like good folks, but I would still like to hear straight from a modeler with firsthand experience at putting their clear over butyrate dope.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 12:25:44 AM »
HI Bill,

I do not know if "Nate" is a part of Klasscote, or not. ???  He IS the moderator of their Vendor's Corner section.  He just hasn't been on here in close to four years.  I might ought to contact him and see what's up.  Having a section in a website that is getting fairly large might need some tending to. ;D  it sure couldn't "hurt" business to check in and give answers. ;D  Not flaming him, just curious as to the no show. part of it.  There are plenty of C/L model builders who still like to use the epoxy paints.  Maybe some interaction would help to increase sales! LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »
Hi Bill. A few years ago I put Klass Kote over the same base as yours, nitrate, butyrate and Klass Kote and it went on very well. Do not know about yellowing as it is on a Stuka and the bottom which is sort of light blue looks fine. Wings are sheeted so no idea about flexibility issue. Main thing is to be absolutely and positively certain that the dope is thoroughly gassed off. Leave it in the sun or a closed car in the sun until there is no more odor. Sealing in the evaporating solvents will leave very bad results. Years ago I shot clear Hobby poxy over dope a bit too soon and after about six months it became orange peel beyond belief. Klass Kote was very nice and predictable to use and sprayed perfectly. Start by following instructions and thin more only if necessary. Very fuel proof as well. Do not know about decal coverage as my markings were painted. Finish still looks like new.

Don Boka.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
Thanks for the report, Don.

As to decals, I would *think* the Klasscote would not harm the decals since it is an epoxy paint, correct?  Decals are affected by the paints which work with a chemical reaction (lacquers/dope) to "eat" into the lower layer, and not a mechanical bond (enamel/epoxy).  I have only experienced decal reactions when using a "hot" thinner in my dope/lacquer paint and/or applying the first coats of same too heavy.

Sound plausible?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »
Yes, you can use Klasskote over butyrate and decals.  Go light on the thinner as well as the spray first couple of coats over the decals.  I posted pictures of my silk covered Buster that had nitrate, butyrate, color Klasskote and then clear Klasskote.  Plane looks just as good today is it did when I finished it.

John

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »
I've seen a few of my old models around and have a friend that also has some of his that are 20 years old and painted with Superpoxy. They still look as good today as then. No cracking or yellowing. One cavat. We did not use epoxy over covered surfaces, only sheeted models and foam wings. Others might have news of it's durability over open bay areas with epoxy clear on.
Dennis

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 07:03:04 AM »
Last week I happened to call Klass Kote. Went to the website, called the number there, a gentleman answered. Sounded like the owner/supplier. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I am exploring options for sealing buty dope. Tired of the stuff failing after a while. No dope is really fuel proof, far as I can tell. Eventually it gets wiped off or some stuff seeps under it. The fellow was great. He recommending that the buty gas off for a month. His point was that buty dope never really dries completely, will continue to gas off, tho the gas off diminishes eventually. He said turn the heat up so that room temperature is between 75 and 80 then hit the model with two quick flash off dry coats. The idea is to spray a very light coat that sets up and dries in thirty seconds or so. These two coats seal in the dope. In an half hour or so, hit the plane with a wet coat. Check about this. I think I am remembering the procedure correctly. The Klass Kote is flexible enough to be applied over open bays, but it will not shrink open bays like dope. He thinks the best way to go about painting open bay planes is to use nitrate up through sealing the covering. Let that gas off for about a week. Then use Klass Kote color and clear. Klass Kote sticks better to nitrate. The nitrate only needing a week or so to cure.

He recommends cleaning the spray guns with high quality lacquer thinner formulated to work with epoxy paint. Thinning with Klass Kote reducers. The part B hardener is compatible with K and B Superpoxy and Hobby Poxy. So it's possible to reclaim any old paint left over from the good ole days. The prices for the products seems reasonable to me. Considering amount used to complete a plane. Perhaps I'm deceiving myself, but I feel epoxy paints are safer to use than the newer car Urethanes.

Much interesting information on the website. A decent amount of colors available. Custom colors are possible. No doubt there are ways to use pigments with these colors, ways to mix your own. I was real interested in the opacity of the paint. If you've done red dope for instance, you probably have discovered the need to have an absolutely uniform undercoat, since the undercoat will show through the translucent red. Opacity is better with Klass Kote. I'll be trying the product in a few weeks.

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 07:22:11 AM »
Guys
The attached picture of my Sultan-e it is Randolph butyrate and a final coat of Klasskote.  It is not cleared since the final coat is Klasskote.  In fact all my airplanes since ’93 have been built up with butyrate dope and finished with Klasskote or K&B epoxy.  There should be no reason that the clear would act any different than the color.  K&B clear used to yellow over time but I don't think that is true with the newer formulation of Klasskote.  A very thin coat followed by a heavier/flowing final coat about 15 min later should do it.

Norm

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »
Brett Buck should chime in here...isn't that what he finished his Nat's winner with ?
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »
Norm, how long did you let the butyrate cure before spraying epoxy. Your instructions are good news. Simplifies the process. I'm not entirely sure from your wording. Do you paint butyrate up through the color? Using the clear epoxy as a final finish.

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »
My Buster that was finished last year with silk, nitrate, butyrate (for filling), silver butyrate, Klasskote color and 1 coat clear K&B superpoxy (have plenty left from years past).  I didn't wait a month for it to gas off.  Maybe 2 weeks tops.  I just finished a Dick's Dream (single channel radio control) with the same process except I used silk span instead of silk and it was probably less than a week since the last coat of dope and the first coat of Klasskote.  Haven't seen any issues.

John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here